Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

P.S supply construction with L200

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimidis

I built the P.S 0-30V 2A shown in the diagram specified in the L200 datasheet. The 741 circuit works as a current limitter. I need to be able to control the limitting current i.e short-circuit the o/p and control Iout using potentiometer P1 to any desired value up to Imax. The problem I have encountered is that when o/p is s.c the L200 internal protection limits Iout to a constant 300mA. I connected low load resistors and noticed that below 8 ohms the power dissipation of L200 goes above 12W (for Vou=12V) and protection limits Iout to 300mA. I use a large heatsink.
Do I need to change the current limitting circuit ? I would appreciate any help

Attachments

• l200.jpg
    l200.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 911
Have another look at the datasheet, figure 3 on page 4, the Safe Operating Area.
You will have to reduce the supply voltage if you want a short circuit current of 2 amp.
Consider, 30 volts at 2 amp is 60 watts, the poor little L200 will get VERY hot and destroy its self. So the protection circuit limits the S/C current to 300 mA when the supply is 30 volts.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back