palm os

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr_Doggy

I just found a palm m100, and i was wondering how i'd go about getting apps for it, that is what language/compiler would I use,, ?

...maybe i start over,... i want to "hack" the IR and bluetooth comms on my cellphone(nokia) and pda(palm), so i want to learn how to program apps for them,(java??) what compiler/language should/could i use, how does access control work on these things with the (java??)?

Start over? That's a completely different question. I have no idea how you'd go about reverse engineering your Nokia Bluetooth stack. The Palm M100 doesn't have Bluetooth or any other form of wireless communications.

The Palm M100 doesn't have the IR comms? the Handspring Visor that I picked up for $1 at the thrift store does. Like Blueroom says their is Basic. One is called Hot Paw Basic, the examples given seemed to work fine, free now too I think.

Then there is the Palm OS 5 SDK, never got that far. The SDK is no longer maintained by Palm, but is still hosted by someone on the net. The SDK guide is attached for those with inquiring minds.

Attachments

• Development Tools Guide.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 243
so the "compiler" is called an emmu? that helps alot right there!!
actually i wonderd if this m100 could even run an app, lol. since phones and pda's now adays are so loaded why build all those components

so all these things work on java right? I figure it is mostly the same for all of them, since all my games are *.jar's , and if its all a c type, all peripherals are prolly on similar ports, right?

but is pda java a special type>?
and what about sis files? would they work, maybe they would be easier to work with?

I'm following this thread with interest. I have a Visor from about 10 years ago and have recently pulled it back out of the box. Would be kinda cool to do something unusual with this.

doggy_:
Not a software developer, so really can't properly answer your questions. Here is what I think is the link for the SDK
**broken link removed**

I was looking to hack the RS232 interface for use with a PIC micro and display data on the Visor's 160x160 mono screen. Didn't want to destroy the sync cable, without a spare laying around, and that's where I left it.

As far as the Palm OS SDK goes, when Cygwin (i.e. windows C compiler) is mentioned in the conversation, my eyes start to gloss over.

In Dennis Clark's book "Programming and Customizing the OOPic Controller" there is an example of using a Palm M100, and the previously mentioned HotPaw Basic, to control a robot. It starts out like:
HTML:
'open serial port
open "com1:" ,9600 as #5 else bolo
'turn on led
print #5, "\041JM";
The example goes on to use the PalmOS form to create a touch screen interface to control the servos and read some sensors!

I discovered a new word today,, developers tools!!! programmer friendly for programmers.

I tried that hotpaw basic but turns out it is basic on the PDA; not really a dev tool,..........in the end i got codewarrior + palm os sdk.

it runs good, compiles and is compatible with the m100 and palm 3 & 5, the sdk provides a "constructor for palm os" which has framework for the palm (alot like VB), and then it has "pilRC designer",, whatever that is,, looks like a constructor too,
but has slot for source code, and tutorial..!

but I am having problems tying it all together(importing ,(and putting my code in!)

heres what a sample code looks like, I just got one question, is this C? (specifically)?

Attachments

• sdkcode.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 275
Have a new spare sync cable for the Visor coming, $3 shipped from ebay.

Will give Hotpaw and RS232 a go with a PIC further down the road.

Found the Visor rom images for the Palm OS Emulator.
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…