Parallel Binary Adder w/ Dual Seven seg display

Status
Not open for further replies.

sid_j

Hi. I'm trying to create a 4 by 4 binary adder in which the output gets converted from binary to decimal through a BCD (7447) decoder, and is shown on one dual-seven segment display. The part which I don't get is how to display the correct output on the "dual" seven seg, meaning showing the correct tens digit. I would be very thankful if you could help me out (I'm new to this stuff :cry: ).

You need to multiplex the 7447 outputs. Take a look at MC14553b, the data sheet shows how it is done.

sorry, I don't understand that figure. I don't have many items available > except for a 7447, a dual 7 segment display.

I have attached my schematic. The part which I don't understand is for example when I add 8 + 1 + 1, how do I get "1" and "0" on the dual seven segment.

Attachments

• parallel_4bit_adder.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 1,317
The BCD adder can only add to 9 so there is no need for the second digit. You need a two digit adder circuit. I don't know how to do that, but perhaps someone can tell you.

The alternative is to treat the adder as a binary adder then do a binary to BCD conversion.

Ok Thanks. That helps a bit. hmm the bcd can't handle a number more than 9. do you know the name of the two digit decoder?

I don't know if I understood the alternative way. Perhaps if you can attach a schematic, that would be just great. I just need to know how to add a tens digit display using another seven segment.

Have you tried asking your teacher/instructor?, I'm presuming it's a school project and NOT a practical requirement?. Other wise simply use a micro-controller, after all this is the 21st century.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…