Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

parallel port wireless stepper motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

noohcnuk

hi everyone, i need to control a stepper motor using the parallel port...i been sucessfully done it..however the next challenge for me is to get rid of the distance bound by the parallel port cable..the reason for me to use parallel port as my system is build on MATLAB.anyone hav any idea how to using parallel port and wirelessly control the stepper motor...thanks in advance..

You would need to convert the parallel to serial, send it via your radio TX and then convert the serial data stream from your RX back to parallel for the stepper motor. Perhaps use 74LS164 and 74LS165 for the conversion.

Gordz said:
You would need to convert the parallel to serial, send it via your radio TX and then convert the serial data stream from your RX back to parallel for the stepper motor. Perhaps use 74LS164 and 74LS165 for the conversion.

Can you do that?

Both 74LS164 and 74LS165 require a clock signal. You can not easily send both clock and data over the same channel.

Better to use a pair of uC's as in Nigel's tutorials. They have built in UARTS.

Sure, the parallel port can use the strobe to serialise and a simple clock on the RX side with a reset configured to activate as soon as the first data pulse arrives. Not great for high speed data but should work. A PIC would be my first choice of course :)

thanks for the reply everyone...but can some 1 send some practical schematic diagram??..i been searching for up and down for such schematic on the internet but no luck...really appreciate if some1 could help......time is running out...aiks

i hav no xperience in using PIC..what i learn b4 is 68HC11...i know is not practical as it is really xpensive compare to PIC....

i really appreciate some help..thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back