Part Selection for School programming Course

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karbos

Currently I am stuck between ordering either of 2 components, the 18F1320 or the 18F1220. The 1220 is cheaper but has less memory. Am I going to need that extra memory, since they will be doing simple flashing lights, etc.

I chose the 18F1320 for my PIC tutor board, that said the 18F1220 seems better suited for motor control. For flashing lights either will work fine.

When ordered from Microchip in one of quantities, the prices are $2.44 and $2.69 a difference of 25 cents. If you later go onto bigger projects the 2K limit of the smaller chip may become a problem. If the saving was significant then I would go for the smaller chip but $0.25 is just not worth worrying about. I have managed to fill a 1320 just playing around in C18 and Swordfish.

<edit>stupid question removed</edit>

Mike.

Last edited:
If you are going to be teaching microprocessor development
I suggest you join Microchip's academic program. I teach at
the the high school level and they have been very supportive.

Microchips supports education and allows schools to order chips
through the sample program.

I like the 18F1330 because it has 3 hardware breakpoints and
allows the use of the PLL with the internal clock for operation
at 38Mhz without a crystal.

From an educational standpoint the 2 extra breakpoints and the
speed are a plus. The downside is that it has fewer timers. The
18 pin 18F chips are similar enough that you can switch between
them if needed.

3v0

I like the 18F1330 because it has 3 hardware breakpoints and
allows the use of the PLL with the internal clock for operation
at 38Mhz without a crystal.

How do you find the number of breakpoints a device has? It's not in the data sheet.

Mike.

How do you find the number of breakpoints a device has? It's not in the data sheet.

Mike.
It used to be in the "Product Comparison Utility:" web page. I think it was also in the parametric product finder.

Perhaps they were lost in an effort to simplify the tables or product selection process. Does not make much sense.

3v0

32Mhz. I will be ordering the 18F1230 as it has the internal PLL.

At a cost of $0.25 I would choose flexibility.

This is like ordering calculators with the 4 basic functions as you assume they will not progress beyond the times tables. Be ambitious and spend that 25 cents.

Mike.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…