Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PC Based with Barcode technology

Status
Not open for further replies.

joy17

Hi to all. As part of our subject requirements, we are asked to produce a prototype project. Now, we need to submit our design proposal. Our instructor told us to think about a prototype on which the school will benefit. First thing comes into my mind is our library. I am thinking of "PC-BASED LIBRARY LOG RECORD USING BAR CODE". I know the title/topic is not nice to hear but I am still thinking the right and pleasant topic. But this is the concept: A bar code will be attached on the ID of the student. When the student come in the library, he/she will use or swipe the id with the attached bar code to identify some information about the student. Then, the informations will be displayed on the computer.

Can you please help me or can you give some suggestion about this. Is there any wrong on my concept? Any response are greatly appreciated. Thank you and GodBless!:):)

It is quite widely used technology especially in librarys. The barcode will just represent a number that refers to a unique identifier for each student. This in turn is linked to a database which contains the information that you require. Would you be building the barcode reader from scratch, and the databse etc? You can get programs that generate barcodes from a string of numbers for attaching to the library cards and books.

Just saw a USB barcode reader for $30, MCM Electronics I think. CorelDraw has a barcode generator, Wordperfect as well. Don't know much about database programs, but know you can program and configure them pretty much anyway you like. Really shouldn't be to difficult. Pretty much every book has a standardized number, should be able to get a list from any large library or publisher. Might try actually going to a library, and asking about their system. All the librarians I've ever asked for help, were friendly, pleasant, and seemed thrilled to be of some assistance. Never met a hot librarian, like in the movies, but if you are willing to degrade yourself behind a stack of books, you might walk away with a copy of the program they use... :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back