PC Controlled Projects - Input Sensors & Output Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Vector

I have many ideas for electronic projects that are controlled by a Personal computer. my question is where can i get Input sensors (light, speed, proximity, temperature, current etc...) and output deviecs (Relays, motordrives etc...) that can be connected to my computer, and can be controlled and processed directly by a program I write (I program in C/C++) not by a program that comes with the product...

Thank you very much!

You're generally going to want to operate off the RS232 serial port. To get programmable outputs and sensor inputs, generally you will use a PIC microcontroller with a simple MAX232 interface chip to turn RS232 into 0-5V logic. There are many, many PIC projects documented on the web which have done such things. A good PIC programmer costs under $100 and individual chips run $2-$6.

There are several C compilers for the PIC.

Since you're going to be putting code on a microcontroller, consider if you can just put everything you want to do on the microcontroller and free it from the PC.

i have a suggestion. for a speed/drection/distance, you could use an old mouse. i thik that it will not be very complicated to use one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…