Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB Manufacture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trevors

Hello Everybody,
Does anybody know any economical methods of manufacturing 'one off' boards for prototyping etc.
Replies appreciated

If you are talking simple single sided boards then the toner transfer sheets (3vO's link) are probably the best way to go. If you want double sided then have a look at **broken link removed**. You may be surprised at how cheaply you can get them manufactured.

Mike.

The paper from Pulsar is excellent. I will never go back to anything else! Well worth the money.

I had typed out the steps, but accidentally hit something and navigated back, losing all I had typed! I hate laptops. Just do a search with google. There are many tutorials out there with great documentation.

EDIT: I recommend buying yourself a good lazer printer and the paper from Pulsar. Goldmine Electronics has great prices for blank copper boards that can be cut with scissors. Also get a dremel drill press and some small bits. It will cost a bit to get set up, but once you have the equipment it will pay off after a dozen boards (as apposed to having them made for you).

PCB design is a learning process. Making your own helps avoid costly mistakes and downtime.

Last edited:
Goldmine is a good place for carbide drill bits as well. They occasionally have box of 50 for $25 (usually $40). I've only broken 4 in the past 2 years, so figure I'm set for life...

We go through this topic almost monthly, search the forum first. Easier to find the best links, and read about personal experiences. The pulsar paper is really that easy to get good results. 10 sheets for $14.95 (8 1/2 x 11"), suggest you start with it, experiment with other papers if you are on a tight budget.

You'll need a chemical to etch the copper, searching the forum will bring up three common ones.

I've used magazine paper and had perfect results every time. I just rip a section from an old magazine, print the art work on it, iron it to a polished piece of copper clad board, leave it to soak in cold water for ten miniutes, remove the paper and etch as usual.

Thanks for all the replies.
I have tried using 'iron on transfer' paper from my local stationary shop which worked well, but it was a little difficult to remove the 'film' thats left over the tracks after transferring. I'm in South Africa so it might take a little time for the pulsar product to get to me. I'll try the magazine paper in the mean time.

You can use transparency sheets (the projector papers) instead.

Take a laser printout to that paper & do the transfer by ironing.Max 20-30 seconds take to stick the artwork.After ironing cool the board & take off that projector paper.

Maximum time is less than 1 minute per board (from ironing to remove the paper)

Anyway I have used this method but for me best is UV exposure thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back