Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB Power Issue

iori3310

Hello friends.

I am posting here after very long time. Hope you all doing great.

Recently I received some devices known as Cloud Computer. I don't know who the manufacturer is but the concept of cloud computer is great regarding this pcb. Well here are the pictures of the device (outside and inside) -

20240602_060230.jpg

20240601_224346.jpg

Now lets go for the problem part. The only main problem with 4 of these devices is that it powers up when I plug in the 6v 1A adapter. But the device doesn't boot up. So, I opened them up and touched the PCB while power on. There is only one component that heats up like hell and becomes untouchable. Here is the picture of it -

20240601_224302.jpg

Unfortunately, I do not know what this component is and it becomes excessively hot. Note that, I already opened the good ones that boot up and there was no heating issue on any components. Could this component be faulty? Should I replace it? Please provide me with some suggestions. I need these devices working for a computer lab.

Waiting for your kind reply.

Iori

Do you have the polarity reversed?

Make sure the voltage applied matches the label on the box. It seems like the glass Zener is working too hard. But the Green LED is a good sign.

The only main problem with 4 of these devices is that it powers up when I plug in the 6v 1A adapter.

The powers supply for those appears to be 5V, not 6V!
(See line 6 of the specs below).

That diode is likely a transient protector & it's trying to hold the voltage down. If the input supply goes directly to any critical 5V devices, it's possible things have already been damaged.

If the "6V" was a typo, someone may have connected a wrong adapter or the wrong polarity adapter in the past and damaged the protection diode.

Specifications, from an old ad I found:

HSIPC ARM Cortex A9 Quad Core 1.6GHz Linux thin client pc station network terminal computer Cloud PC With RAM 1G,FLASH 8G,Wifi Include USB VGA HDMI,RDP8.0,Embedded linux 3.0 OS​

Data sheet
1. Operating System: Inner core Linux3.0
2. CPU: ARM A9 Quad-core 1.6G
3. RAM: Onboard 1G
4. Flash: Onboard 8G
5. Display support: VGA: 800*600, 1024*768,1366*768,1280*1024, 1440*900 HDMI: 1280*720P,1920*1080P
6. Power Input: 100-240V, 50/60Hz; Output: 5V/2A
7. Management Remote management, configuration;
8. Wake terminal remotely(Wake-on-LAN)
9. Onboard LAN+Wifi
10. Operating range 3k meters
11. Ports: 1 RJ-45 LAN port; 4 USB 2.0 ports; 1 HDMI; 1 VGA; 1 DC in port; 2 Audio jacks: Speaker-out and mic-in; 2 PS2; 1 COM
12. Server OS support Windows XP, Win 7(recommend), Linux
Advantages
1. Quick connection speed.
2. Support 32 bit color in the server
3. Support playing 1080P HD movie in RDP coonection. (Support streaming video)
4. To adjust the resolution automatically according to the monitor
5. Support MIC&SPEAKER in Server OS windows 7&2008
6. .Support multi-language keyboard,such as France,Janpanese,Arabic etc
7. Server OS support Windows Server 2000/2003, Windows NT 4.0-Terminal Serveredition, Citrix Winframe Server/windows XP/ Windows 7/Vista Server configuration
Recommend:
Below 10 users--Intel Core Duo2.0GHZor above--2~4G RAM--500GB HDD
10~20 users-IntelCore Duo2.0GHZ above or Quad-Core --4~8G RAM--500GB HDD
20~30 users--Core Quad-Core 2.6GHZ above--8G RAM--1T HDD
30~50 users--Xeon dual-core 2.3GHZ above or Quad-Core--8-16G RAM--1T~2T HDD

It's a diode.

Do you have a multimeter to test it?

You can replace it of course, do you know how to solder?
Thanks for the reply. I have a multimeter but I do not know how to test it. Although I can replace it but I don't know where to search for it. Yes, I can solder.

Do you have the polarity reversed?

I don't know how to check that. But the SMD above the zener diode is SS24 and I get negative readings when I attach it with the multimeter. Negative 6v.

Make sure the voltage applied matches the label on the box. It seems like the glass Zener is working too hard. But the Green LED is a good sign.

The green LED is a good sign for all the devices because they all have green light up when power adapter is attached. The voltage matches with the label on the box but it seems some components were damaged.

The powers supply for those appears to be 5V, not 6V!
(See line 6 of the specs below).

That diode is likely a transient protector & it's trying to hold the voltage down. If the input supply goes directly to any critical 5V devices, it's possible things have already been damaged.

If the "6V" was a typo, someone may have connected a wrong adapter or the wrong polarity adapter in the past and damaged the protection diode.

Specifications, from an old ad I found:

Yes, someone used unspecified adapter to run this component and damaged most of the devices. But here is the twist part. Although it is written 5v 2A on the back label of the device, but it doesn't run with 5v 2A adapters. The devices boot up only when it is attached with 6v 1A. Remeber I said, some of the devices working just fine. But the devices don't boot up with 5v 2A or 5v 1A. I tried many adapters with same output range. I just need to figure out how to replace that zener diode.

Thank you for your suggestions. Looking forward to more solutions.

Regards
Iori

Yes, someone used unspecified adapter to run this component and damaged most of the devices. But here is the twist part. Although it is writen 5v 2A on the back label of the device, but it doesn't run with 5v 2A adapters. The devices boot up only when it is attached with 6v 1A. Remeber I said, some of the devices working just fine. But the devices don't boot up with 5v 2A or 5v 1A. I tried many adapters with same output range. I just need to figure out how to replace that zener diode.

Thank you for your suggestions. Looking forward to more solutions.

Regards
Iori

Check the polarity of the adaptors, it's looks likely that the 5V ones you have are the wrong polarity.

Isn't the polarity on the adapters like those always the same?

No, NO and NO!! :D

They can be either polarity, it used to be about 50/50, but in more recent years it's tended more towards centre positive.

This is why those universal adaptors, that come with multiple plug-in connectors, can be configured either way.

If the diode gets hot with 5V 2A, remove it and try again. If not, it's supposed to be an overvoltage protector and get hot so 6V is wrong.

As I recall, the older ones were centre-negative, trying to be difficult and single-sourced and really old ones were AC in which case polarity is moot. I see this board has dual rectifier power diodes and four DCDC converters nearby and one in the corner. Show the label with power info.

Last edited:
No, NO and NO!! :D

They can be either polarity, it used to be about 50/50, but in more recent years it's tended more towards centre positive.

This is why those universal adaptors, that come with multiple plug-in connectors, can be configured either way.
Well, I was in delusion. :banghead:

I used couple of universal adapters, luckily they were fine, so no damage was inflicted to the device, but in the future I will be careful.

Thanks for the enlightenment.

20240606_074647.jpg

Hello.

You can see above that I replaced the zener diode. But whenever I plug in the adapter the SS24 SMD above the zener shows reading negative -6.01 V. But this time the zener diode does not get hot. I am not sure now what could cause the problem. Please help me out here.

Reagrds
Iori

Latest threads

Back