PCBs (toxicity)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Ive been told to be wary of any leakage, or seepage
from any older capacitor casings, or older inductor casings
and not to get anything like that on my skin.

Everything ive found so far about this stuff refers to it
as a liquid.

I am inclined to think its always a liquid.

But i would like to be sure,
although i think its unlikely to ever be anything else.

John

Hi,

Yes, its always refered to as a liquid, or an oil, or oily, or an oily liquid.
I have managed to find out something about its appearance,
sometimes its a bit yellow looking.

I have to assume that sometimes it is not yellow looking.

My particular situation is that i want a small amount of pitch for a small project.
Nothing electrical in this case, but i cant find anywhere to get pitch.

So i thought i would beat to death an old discharge-lamp choke, quite a large one
in a rusty old tin case sealed and set in pitch. Or what looks like pitch to me.
Then i thought, this dates back to times when these things had toxins in the insulation
so i started to get concerned.
But this stuff looks like pitch to me, i don't see any reason why it might include any PCBs.
If they were mixed with the pitch i think that would probably soften the pitch without any
benefit.

So i think i will carry on, and beat that old choke into bits, and melt off the pitch
to use in my project. I only need a small amount.
Ive seen many bits and pieces in old electronics stuff which have been sealed with pitch,
and no-one has mentioned any cause for concern about toxins with such bits.
Perhaps i'm being a bit paranoid.

John

Last edited:
True story.

A number of years ago I was on a training course at the Ferranti Computer Systems factory in Wythenshawe near Manchester.
At the time I worked for another branch of Ferranti in Aberdeen, the course was about some software system.
The trainees on the course were working in pairs for the practical sessions, I was working with Some Other Guy (SOG) for somwhere I cant remember after all these years.

One lunchtime, SOG and myself were walking back around the outside of the factory to the training place.
We walked past a big bulk storage container with about 500litres of Ferric Chloride, SOG asks me "What does Ferranti use Ferric Chloride for?"
"For making PCBs" I replied.
At this point SOG looked most confused and turned quite pale.
"PCBs! Why do you want PCBs!" he enquired anxiously

Now JimB is very confused, how could someone from an electronics/computer background (or so I assumed) not know what PCBs were for?

It turns out that SOG was actually a chemist, and one of the things he did on the side was tweeking program in the Ferranti Argus 700 computer at the place he worked. Which is why he was on the course.

After I explained to him that PCB was a Printed Circuit Board, and was nothing to do with Poly Chlorinated Biphenyl, he calmed down!

JimB

Hehe... that story makes me giggle. Your SOG is not somebody you would expect to over react to a chemical process he probably knew a little bit about.

The general public are alarmist about lots of things. Asbestos is one that jumps to mind. I was riding around an old asbestos mine last weekend.
Some of my friends were sure I was going to have lung cancer by the end of the week.
This is one of the photos I took. Everything that is white is asbestos !
http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2854582200048941318DwsnUn

Beryllium in old radio electronics is more of a concern to me.
Quite often scrap metal dealers come and collect the old gear with no thought for Beryllium Oxide. We tell them if we suspect PCB's, they have no idea what Beryllium is. Even when I showed one of them once, he didn't care. "Ah, my office has asbestos walls buddy, this stuff ain't going to hurt nobody !"

Mercury is another. Every couple of years the subject of mercury fillings etc comes up.
Like asbestos, once in place, it's just safer to leave the fillings in rather than remove them.
Think of all those fluro lights getting busted up in landfill !

Radiation - Damn doesn't that make people go crazy !
Psychotic Kindy mums complaining about mobile phone towers next door to their kid's school. Yet have the same kid talk to daddy on the mobile phone.
Inverse square law just does not exist in their universe. "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge"

And if it isn't non-ionising radiation, ionising radiation tips people over the edge.
I collect radioactive minerals. I sometimes go to lapidary shows where I might pick up a good specimen I don't have.
I carry a gieger counter around with me, and it freaks people out. Especially those crystal healing people.

PCBs. Most people will not have to worry about them. Quite often we will see electrolyte which has leaked out of a capacitor (electrolytic) or maybe out of a forgotten battery. Generally there isn't anything to worry about and simple common sense is all you need. Treat the leak as if it were toxic or caustic.
No need to call the hazmat for a dead capacitor, clean up the PCB (circuit board) with metho and an old toothbrush etc.

PCB's in old electronics are also not too much of a problem. I've come across a lot of old capacitors and transformers which used them. Stuff from the 1940's and 50's. Most of them had never leaked when we removed them from service. One or two had leaked, but even then these were very minor and today's electrolytics make a proportionally much bigger mess.
When we did find a leak, we just avoided touching any of the material and got it into the waste removal bin with little fuss.

I would just avoid contact with anything you're not sure about. Simple policy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…