Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Philips PFC8584 or PIC 16F87

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill,

Did you mean a PCF8584? I'm downloading the Data Sheet now. Does it provide sinking or sourcing drivers with more than the standard 20/25-ma available from the MCP23016/'23017?

Mike

William At MyBlueRoom said:
I2C makes for a great two wire expansion bus. Easy to add I/O and the hardware is built into many PICs.

I2C was specifically designed to simplify the PCB layout in TV sets, and has since spread to other products as well. If you have a requirement for multiple IC's connected to the same bus (or wish to use IC's that are only available as I2C), then it's a good idea - but it's not really very good as a general purpose bus, and if you're only connecting two PIC's together it's greatly over complicated for the job.

I like the 3-wire MIC5841 or MIC5821 serial-to-parallel 8-bit sinking driver chips for relays (500-ma per output and something like 30-50v).

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back