Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Phone / Computer Headset Mixer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teflonatron

I'm looking to build or buy a device capable of mixing audio between a telephone handset, and a computer headset. The basic idea would be to control the source/destination/volume of the various audio signal inputs/outputs, allowing any audio input/output to be mixed together.

My main goal would be able to be wearing a computer headset, listening to music on my PC, pick up a phone call, and talk and listen to the phone call through my computer headset. I would want the option to keep my music playing while on the phone call, or to mute the computer audio for the duration of the call. In case I don't have my computer headset handy, I'd like to use the phone handset to receive or make a phone call.

It would be nice to allow the computer audio output to send to the phone Mic (so that computer audio could be played onto a phone call), or for phone audio to be sent to the computer via a line in, but that would just be an added bonus.

I am by no means seasoned in circuit design, but I have done basic circuit soldiering and such. I'm very willing to learn, but I think I'll need some help in the way of being pointed in the right direction to get this done. I have no idea if the below is feasible, but I imagine it to be a good start.

I'd like to be able to select any source or destination in the following manner:

Button Layout
-------------

Phone Mic = PM
Headset Mic = HM
Pushbutton = x
Volume Knob = *

Source

|----|----|
| PM | HM |
|----|----|
| x* | x* | Computer Mic Input
|----|----|
| x* | x* | Phone Mic Input
|----|----| Destination

Computer Audio Output (Stero) = CA
Phone Audio Output (Mono) = PA
Pushbutton = x
Volume Knob = *

Source

|----|----|
| CA | PA |
|----|----|
| x* | x* | Computer Headphones
|----|----|
| x* | x* | Phone Handset Speaker
|----|----| Destination

Connectors
----------

To Computer:

1/8 TS (phone jack) Mic Out
1/8 TRS (phone jack) Stero Output ** For Line In **

From Computer:

1/8 TRS (phone jack) Stero Output

To Computer Headset:

1/8 TRS (phone jack) Stero Output

From Computer Headset:

1/8 TS (phone jack) Mic In

To Telephone Handset:

4P4C (RJ9) Mic In & Mono Output

To Telephone:

4P4C (RJ9) Mic Out & Mono Input

All comments are welcome, even those calling me a crazy fool for wanting such a device... :D

*bump*

Blast from the past. Just got pinged via PM on this today. Figured it might be worthy of a bump in the hopes of some fresh views, and possible replies. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back