Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

photoelectrically controlled self-opening and speaking trash container

Status
Not open for further replies.

ice-cream-man

I would like to build a trash container for my ice cream parlor that senses the approaching hand, opens its lid and thanks the kid using several different programmable voices and phrases. In the case a computer is necessary for its operation, it would be a Mac. I would be greatful if anyone had an idea.

A 'Windows Vista' computer would be more apropriate for a trash can project, but it probably would work very reliably...

Anyway, a microcontroller would be more then enough. You could use infrared LED and reciever module to either detect proximity or broken beam, kind of depends on the the trash can. I threw together a proximity detector with a 88 cent ATtiny13, as a first real project. Not too tough.

The voice... there were several threads here about voice recorder chips, might look into those, or a cheap MP3 player.

A hobby servo is pretty strong, might be up to the task of opening some lids, but kind of depends on the can. Took me a while to get the timing worked out to control a servo with the same Attiny13 chip, but I could see it might work with this little 8-pin part.

A Mac would be way more then what you would need, never used one myself, but was tempted (always hated Windows), but the software I wanted to use was mostly DOS, and then Windows, eventually Mac...

Let see what the Pic guys have...

HarveyH42 said:
A 'Windows Vista' computer would be more apropriate for a trash can project, but it probably would work very reliably...
Good one.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back