Photographing electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMoffett

I frequently see people posting photos here that are fuzzy and totally useless because they don't have a macro setting for extreme closeups in their digital cameras. I found that if you hold a simple plano-convex or double-convex lens over the end of your camera's lens you can get some fairly good closeups.

Ken

Attachments

• Macro1.JPG
    603 KB · Views: 201
  • Macro2.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
I find that a tripod and macro mode is the best key to great photos.

Andrew

Attachments

• LED2.JPG
    746.4 KB · Views: 191
  • LED1.JPG
    745.7 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
most cameras do have a macro mode, even my cheap 90€ kodak does, most people simply don't know how to use it, no one bothers reading instructions these days...

The macro mode on a lot of digitals with low pixel resolution still aren't enough to show good enough details on posts here. Examples are pretty common on posts that ask: "What is this component?"
Use um if ya got um!...otherwise this is just another option.

Ken

Last edited:
I always use a sturdy tripod & macro mode - with a well-lit room. Flash that close doesn't work out so well, even on the low setting.

i sometimes put a little piece of white paper over the flash, so it difuses the light, and won't reflect as much on shiny surfaces

i sometimes put a little piece of white paper over the flash, so it difuses the light, and won't reflect as much on shiny surfaces

Yes, that works well to get rid of flash bounce, thin white paper, wax paper or sheer cloth.

Seems many of the posted images seem to be taken using a cell phone and many are hard to see for want of better focus.

Ron

I think most people in the 'what's this part?' posts are using there cell phones. Many don't know there's a certain distance the lens has to be away from the subject to focus.

And, where do you find a suitable macro lens to put in front of a cell phone?

Reading glasses!
They do the same thing in front of your phone that they do in front of Grandpa's (read: MY) eyes. The stronger the glasses, the closer you can focus. My phone is razor-sharp at 1 foot with 2.25 glasses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…