Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

pic arithmetic

Status
Not open for further replies.

markaut

Hi, I'm pretty new to all this, having recently bought a Velleman VM111 programmer board and PIC 16F627 chip. I am working in assembly language.

My plan is to have a stepper motor rotate a turntable to predefined positions. I can drive the motor and I can place positions in EEprom as the number of steps from my zero position.
I can put things into EEPROM and access them, I can drive a stepper motor in both directions.:D

I am currently slightly clueless as to how I move the motor from one position to the next.:confused:

For example:
If position 1 is at step 24 (90 degrees from zero [the motor has 3.75 degree steps])
and pos 2 is at step 32 (120 degrees), then I want the motor to move 8 steps clockwise.
If position 3 is at step 4 (15 degrees from zero) then the motor would be best moving anticlockwise 28 steps as opposed to continuing clockwise for 76 steps.
I hope this is clear!

Am I right in thinking I can't have negative binary numbers?
I know SUBLW will come into is somewhere, but what happens if I subtract a large number from a small one?
How can I find out which number is the larger?
Do I need "If, Then and Else"? I assume they exist in assembly language?

Any pointers would be more than welcome, but please remember that I am new to all this and the learning curve, though fun, is steep.

You can add negative binary numbers,
Code:
; if w contains 32 then

addlw	0x100-d'12'

;will result in w containing 20
;the 0x100 is to stop the assembler issuing a warning.

For a better explanation see the , especially the math and conditional flow links.

Mike.

markaut,

The PIC handles signed 8 bit numbers. Just test the result and perform a 2's complement on it if it's negative (bit 7 = 1). If you simulate the following code and "watch" the posFm, posTo, steps, and direction variables you'll find that going from position 32 to position 20 is 12 steps in a negative direction....

Mike

Code:
;
        movf    posFm,W         ; current position
        subwf   posTo,W         ; going to
        movwf   steps           ; number of steps, -127..128
        clrf    direction       ; indicate positive direction
        btfss   steps,7         ; negative?  yes, skip, else
        goto    cont            ; branch (positive, all done)
        bsf     direction,0     ; indicate negative direction
        comf    steps,F         ; 2's complement result
        incf    steps,F         ;
;
;  direction = 0 (positive) or 1 (negative)
;  steps = number of steps to target
;
cont:
Code:
;
;  same thing optimized a bit
;
        movwf   direction       ; bit 7 is direction
        btfsc   direction,7     ; negative?  no, skip, else
        sublw   0               ; 2's complement W
        movwf   steps           ; number of steps
;
;  direction bit 7 = 0 (positive) or 1 (negative)
;  steps = number of steps to target
;

Last edited:
Thanks Guys, I have had a bash at making my own code, though it is nowhere near as concise as yours Mike, so thank you for the pointers, I still have plenty to learn.

I'll have a go with the simulator this weekend and see how far I get.

It's a long time since I learnt a new programming language and I forgot the thrill of 'discovering' all the things that are possible.

In truth I already have code and a prototype circuit which will do what I originally wanted. Problem is that as I learn new things I cant stop trying to make things better. I wish I had discovered PICs many years ago, I would have had far more success with my (then over ambitious) electronics projects.

Or, you might use the negative/positive result something like this;

Mike

Code:
;
Chg_position
        movwf   steps           ; number of steps
;
        btfss   steps,7         ; skip if negative, else
        goto    step_pos        ; branch
step_neg
        call    step_anticw     ; 1 step anti clockwise
        incfsz  steps,F         ; done?  yes, skip, else
        goto    step_neg        ; do another step
        return                  ;
step_pos
        call    step_cw         ; 1 step clockwise
        decfsz  steps,F         ; done?  yes, skip, else
        goto    step_pos        ; do another step
        return                  ;

That is more like what I was putting together, though I was not as tidy about it. Shows I was at least thinking in the right direction even if my coding wasn't up to the task.
Many thanks, I'll put it all together this weekend and see how it runs in the simulator.

--
Mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back