PIC flash blanks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After powering my PIC16F876A, after programming it and verifying it, I try to plug it back in and read the data off the flash, but it's just blank! Is my PIC dead? (Using the Olimex PIC-PG2C programmer and Olimex PIC-P28 development board, with 9VDC power source limited to ~5.5VDC) Sound like my PIC needs replacing?

I started out with a Olimex Tiny-ICD2 which died. Next I bought a POS USB ICD2 from Ebay.

At that point I had enough of programmers I could not fix. I used a Olimex PIC-PG2C from sparkfun to program the 16F877 for my first ICD2 clone. Could be the one and only time I used it.

At the very least get the thing working a build a serial ICD2 clone. Better yet buy or build a Junebug.

Thanks, but that still doesn't seem extremely relevant. I'm just trying to figure out if my PIC is fried from the symptom of failure to retain flash data.

Last edited:
Thanks, but that still doesn't seem extremely relevant. I'm just trying to figure out if my PIC is fried from the symptom of failure to retail flash data.
It's very unlikely to be fried. They're tough little buggers. More likely it was never programmed to begin with or your programmer isn't reading it right or the programmer software is crap. Or maybe it's user error?

Hmm, I guess it was user error, seems fine now. does anyone know if XT or HS oscillation settings make that big a difference? And I should use HS if I'm running on a 20Mhz crystal, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…