PIC K 150 USB Automatic Microcontroller Programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

rthuey

hi just purchased. can not seem to find out which end is up as far as dropping in a 12F675 on the board to program.

any links or thoughts are appreciated.

On the original K150 'up' is the lever end of the ZIF socket so pin 1 towards that end.

thanks for that. and i see that depending on which chip you choose depends on where you place it, which is shown on screen. brilliant design, minus the fact they should indicate which end is up.

moving on. win 7, 64 bit system. i have plugged in via usb the programmer. i have gone into device manager and verified the 'prolific usb to serial comm port (com 2)', was set to a single digit port number which i read is the only type the unit will work on. started MicroBrn.exe and the programmer was automatically selected as K150. in MicroBrn.exe verified port was set to match as com 2. serial is on. chip selector set to 12F675 and chip is in place. exit MicroBrn.exe and restart it. as point of reference; top of application window says 'DIY K150 v150807'. upon start of MicroBrn.exe i get the main application window with an error popup in front of it, there appears to be a problem accessing the COM port. hit ok or x and i can get the popup to go away. check 'read chip info' and i get 'COM port inactive, cannot execute selected function'

if i do the above and use com 1 instead of 2 the error message i get is;
reset failed, please check
communications port, currently com 1
board communications and power
mode = [k150] make sure this setting matches programmer board

hit ok or x and i can get the popup to go away. check 'read chip info' and i get 12f675 version 11 chip id= 0FC0

Last edited:
i only need it for 6 chips and the same program. was supposed to just have to write to the chips but looks like the person i chose on freelancer is slacking. was gonna take a stab at it myself.

Just did some Googling, it appears the K150 with a Prolific USB-serial chip is a far east clone of the original.

Not that this helps directly but there a forums full of people having issues getting the Prolific clone K150 to work with similar issue to those you describe. I couldn't see anyone with a definitive 'fix'

I know you have paid out for this but you may find biting the bullet and just getting a PICkit2 will let you get on with the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…