Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC Kit 2 help

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigfarmerdave

I bout a PIC Kit 2 that came with a PIC16F690 micro controller. I'm a newbie to the PICs so please show a little mercy. I'm trying to follow an online tutorial in which the following code is to be used with the Swordfish environment.

DEVICE = 16F877 ' Specify What PIC your using
XTAL = 4 ' The Crystal/Osc Frequency

ALL_DIGITAL = True ' Make all pins digital

Symbol LED_1 = PortA.0 ' Define a symbol in the program

TRISA.0 = 0 ' Make PORTA.0 an output
PORTA.0 = 0 ' and set it low (0V)

Main:

If LED_1 = 0 then ' Check the status of the LED
LED_1 = 1 ' and toggle it
Else
LED_1 = 0
Endif

DelaymS 1000 ' Delay for 1 second

Goto Main ' Loop forever

The problem is that I am using a PIC16F690 and when I type that in instead of what he used and try to compile it, I get the following error "unable to open system file" and I don't know where to go from here. I really don't care to follow any code that is written in assembly but would rather learn a flavor of basic if possible. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Since Swordfish is for the 18f devices you will have to slide to another compiler for the 16f's. Plenty of compiler lists, links to be searched out.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

The others have pointed out your problem. You might consider downloading the free demo version of PicBasicPro. It is straight-forward Basic, and has plenty of support, samples and an extensive on-line instruction manual.

You are size limited with the demo version, but you can create many programs before ever reaching the limit.

Edit: I might add that you can use it with the MPlab materials that came with your PICkit2, so there is no need for anything else to get programming.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back