Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC -musical tunes

Status
Not open for further replies.

yagtoby

i would like to record and play back (a total of 24) musical tunes from a PIC.
Each tune may last 15 to 20 secs and by each time switch operation(similar to door bell switch).
i searched a lot and no clear information on the results.

could you help me the way ahead

yagtoby said:
i would like to record and play back (a total of 24) musical tunes from a PIC.
Each tune may last 15 to 20 secs and by each time switch operation(similar to door bell switch).

It is exceedingly unlikely that any PIC will have enough memory to store and recall 24 * 20 =approx 500 seconds of audio. Assuming 8-bit samples at sample rate of 44.1kHz that's about 22 Megabytes or twice the size the disk drive that shipped with the first PC's in November of 1981. Isn't that a hoot?

would like to record and play back (a total of 24) musical tunes from a PIC.

y u want to record tones??
just make tunes of differnet frequencies with PIC

Most of these applications use midi-like commands (note / duration) and play back tones by toggling an output pin at some note frequency or pwm type signal.

You can't 'record' like this, but you could store your tune data in flash or eeprom beforehand.

EDIT -

Something like .

Last edited:
Papabravo said:
It is exceedingly unlikely that any PIC will have enough memory to store and recall 24 * 20 =approx 500 seconds of audio. Assuming 8-bit samples at sample rate of 44.1kHz that's about 22 Megabytes or twice the size the disk drive that shipped with the first PC's in November of 1981. Isn't that a hoot?
I don't think he wants to do that.

I think he wants just simple tones tuned to different notes rather than propper sound, like those novelty musical Christmas cards?

Anyway, I don't do PICs but all you need to do is send a squarewave to an IO port then connect a buffer to drive a small speaker or piezo transducer.

I think y'all need to read the original post more carefully. Tunes is NOT the same as tones, and "record" and "play back" was definitely part of the original request. Each of your interpretations seems to fit your idea of what he wants to do and not what he said. Maybe the original poster could clarify his requirements, but I'm not holding my breath.

But the tone is interesting! Mayb I'm still new to PIC's, I haven't seen this.
Isn't LPF needed at the output of the PIC to produce sine wave?

Maybe you are looking to build a PIC based MP3 player:
**broken link removed**
This project only has playback function, but will give you an idea of the complexity of your idea.

It's probably cheaper to buy one, the only reason I can see for making one is as an educational exercise.

PIC musical tunes-Instrumental song tunes

Papabravo said:
I think y'all need to read the original post more carefully. Tunes is NOT the same as tones, and "record" and "play back" was definitely part of the original request. Each of your interpretations seems to fit your idea of what he wants to do and not what he said. Maybe the original poster could clarify his requirements, but I'm not holding my breath.

papabravo-your guess is perfectly right.

to say explictly, what i need is to record musical tunes - instrumental song tunes and to plaYback them at a push of a switch. i may use an external flash drive with prerecorded musical tunes.
Other option is toi use an MP3 player and modify with an amp and some logic to play in a sequence.
Is it possible with a PIC by using stored musical tunes files in a thumb drive.

yagtoby said:
i would like to record and play back (a total of 24) musical tunes from a PIC. Each tune may last 15 to 20 secs.

Have you experimented with chipcorders from the ISD series of non-volatile digitized audio samplers by Winbond. Look up Winbond https://www.winbond-usa.com/mambo/content/view/36/140/

This have been prevalent for a long time and provide many durations and interfaces that make nice additions to a PIC controller board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back