Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC noobie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosaic

Hi All:
I am getting started with PICs and I need a bit of advice.

My BKG:
I have programmed in assembly (C-64), Basic, Fortran, Vbasic, A bit of C++. I am familiar with digital electronics, and analog electronics. I design/prototype & fabricate finished boards and assemblies.
I have a USB oscilloscope, the bitscope 100 and a DMM.

I have ordered a starter pickit 2 (DV164120) with a 16f690 demoboard. I have also ordered a few crystals (4MHz thru 20Mhz), 7 segment displays and I have an assortment of LEDs, sensors, resistors pots etc. I have also ordered a hobby servomotor, a 40 pin ZIF socket, breadboard and a few pics, 16f54,12f675,16f676,16F628a,12F617. (Newark & Jameco).

I have 'THe PIC Microcontroller" by John Morton a personal intro to PICs.

Based of the above, have I missed out anything important in getting started? I want to be able to eventually produce PIC electronics with USB I/O and a windows GUI interface for parameter transfer. I want to produce standalone automotive controllers for things like boost control etc.

Any recommended reading or links?

I plan to use the book mentioned and go thru the projects as well as any interesting online projects first. Then to move up to more complex design etc. I figure I'll do the assembly type proggies first to get a grip on low overhead, time deterministic systems.

Is the Oshonsoft simulator a better bet than the MPLAB IDE?

I have concerns about parasitic oscillations emanating from the PCB's. Can anyone suggest resources on designing boards to minimise that problem?

Thanks for your interest.

sounds like a good plan, if it was me all i would add would be a cheap 16x2 lcd a few push buttons, and some 18f chips as theese have more goodies on them and generaly more power.

Oshon Sale

I just purchased Oshon PIC IDE for $15 Eur as its on a 50% sale until jun 7.

About the swordfish Basic, it seems that Pic's are going through the original CPU lifecycle. From assembler to higher level languages as ram addressing & speed improves.

I am not sure high level languages lend themselves to deterministic programming. From an auto/commerical perspective where size/cost are key factors I'll stick to the smaller PICs for the while, until I develop efficient assembler routines customised to do the jobs I need.

I love to do tight efficient code. I remember selling "type in" assembly proggies for the C-64 to Compute's Gazette back in 1990 & 1993. This will be something like that I think.

When I run into a resources roadblock that I can't code around, then it'll be time for the better PICs.

Can MPlab simulate a transistor switch?

Hi,
If I wish to do a simple PIC prg to run a few LEd 7 segment displays via stobing.
Can I simulate this in MPLAB? I am not sure how to simulate a transistor switch with a 7 segment display.

I am not sure high level languages lend themselves to deterministic programming.
Are you sure this is what you mean. Unless the program include randomization (even then given that most random functions are not random) all programs are deterministic regardless of the language. This includes OO and AI languages.

oops

Are you sure this is what you mean. Unless the program include randomization (even then given that most random functions are not random) all programs are deterministic regardless of the language. This includes OO and AI languages.

That should read 'time deterministic". Assembly gives tight control over the instruction cycles used. Ergo, tight control over program timing as opposed to compiler efficiencies getting in the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back