Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC programmer circuit critique

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rusttree

I designed a simple PIC programmer circuit that I plan to make permanent on a PCB. I figured before I commit, I should ask for a critique of the circuit. I'm fairly new at circuit design, so I might have redundant/unnecessary components. Or maybe less-than-optimal capacitor values or something. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks!
-Dan

Attachments

• PIC_programmer..png
    PIC_programmer..png
    17.5 KB · Views: 200
Have you tested it, and does it work? What software is required to program a PIC with this?

Yes and yes. I have a program I wrote in c++ that controls the parallel port. Everything seems to work well (I've had many successful programming attempts), I just want to make sure my circuit is optimal and free of any sneaky "gotchas".

I'm an idiot and just realized I connected Vdd and Vss wrong in my schematic. Rest assured my actual circuit has these correct.

Some specifics I should probably point out:
-The inverter reverses all logic, so obviously my programming code does everything in the opposite logic.
-Pin 4 of the parallel port controls Vdd. I did this so I can control power to the PIC (and then MCLR) in case the INTRC is running in the PIC.

Last edited:
I'll fix the schematic when I get home and repost. In the mean time, pin 12 of the inverter goes to Vdd on the PIC and Vss goes to GND. That's what I have (I promise) on my actual circuit.

Anything else stand out?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back