Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC programmer : i think i screwed up

Status
Not open for further replies.

brother_four

hey i'm new to PICs and i've been trying to program a pic for some time. heres the case :
I built a programmer for a 16f84a using the schematic given at oshonsoft.com and using the software given there. thing is i accidently connected MCLR to the node to which VDD should have been connected and vice versa. everything else was correct. now my pic got heated up as soon as i connected the supply and i took it off after some time. i later found my error and then made corrections.

now, everything works, i mean the voltages are correct, at all places , the LEDs light up and blink, my parallel port is fine and so is my wire and connectors but my chip is not being programmed. I found these anamolies :

1) when the programmer is not connected to a PC, Between pins 14 and 5 the voltage is NOT 5v but 4.15-4.3 v, usually the latter which is a diode drop less than i want. and .2v less than the minimum requirement of 4.5

2) Is it possible that my chip burnt out due to over heating or overvoltage ? because it was not previously programmed is it possible to find out if it is in working condition and how ? the max VDD is 5.5 V according to the datasheet and i had supplied it with a full 13 V.

I am using 2 9V batteries connected in series for supply. also i have tried to program it with ICProg as well using the Serial TAIT programmer which is very similar to the above.

pls help me out with this...

I've heated those up pretty hot before for a decient amount of time and they still worked, there pretty durable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back