Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC programmer schematic help

Status
Not open for further replies.
**broken link removed**
this is a pic16f877 programmer (i think )
question:
1. are my schematic wrong ?
2. are i need crystal ?
3. whats the crystal ?
4. what is the power supply ?
5. are the Vpp pin need to connect ?
or if the schematic wrong what is the fixed one ?
:D:D

EDIT; for people which looking for Very Simple ICSP Programmer
look at second trhead

Last edited:
It's not a PIC programmer, it's just an RS232 interface -assuming the PIC is already programmed with a bootloader?, then it could be used to 'update' the PIC - but not program from scratch.

can you use serial for programming, i use a very basic icsp programmer. works a treat

'Serial' port programmers usually don't use the actual serial port at all, they manually toggle the handshake lines in a completely non-standard fashion. Real serial port programmers use an on-board processor, in a similar way to the USB ones.

i didnt know that Nigel, i have always said i would get a pickit2 but while my homemade programmer does the job i cant really see the point.

i didnt know that Nigel, i have always said i would get a pickit2 but while my homemade programmer does the job i cant really see the point.
If you are happy with your current programmer so be it.

However the pickit2 has several advantages.
The software is maintained by Micochip so it is kept up to date with the latest devices. But since the pickit2 is being obsoleted I am not sure if that has stopped. Even so the list of chips it will program is impressive.
It is also a in circuit debugger. Allows you to set breakpoints and examine data on the PIC in real time.
It can be used as a 4 channel logic analyzer.
It can be used as a TTL (logic level) to USB converter.
It can program serial EEPROMS
It can even be reprogrammed to program some AVRs

it can be used for 16F84, 16F62X, 16F87X chips
To make it:

TXD (3) ------[4.7k]-------VPP

GND (5) --------------------VSS

DTR (4) -------[4.7k]------DATA

CTS (8) ------------------DATA

RTS (7) -------[4.7k]------CLK

Numbers in Bracket are the connections on the 9-Pin D-Connector.
Then just put your PIC into a breadboard, connect your 5 volt supply to VDD/VSS, and away you go.
for the software ;
use IC-prog
IC-Prog

i think we should make this become sticky thread
so the other beginner will not asking again

pic gang programmer

guide me about pic gang programmer. it can program min. 20pcs. pic microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back