Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC Programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterDove

Hi All,

I have some PIC16F73(28pin), PIC16F871(40pin), and some PIC18F2455, PIC18F2550 coming.

I built a very simple JDM serial programmer which successfully allows me to program the PIC16F84 and the PIC16F628 devices. Does anyone know of a similarily simple circuit I can build for the above mentioned devices?

On a super tight budget :)

Peter

I've never found a PIC I couldn't program with my JDM serial programmer. As nigel said, it's all about the software you use. The de facto standard seems to be IC-prog, which is a software I like, but it doesn't have recent device support. When I needed to program an 18F4550, I used WinPIC800; I'm sure it covers all the PICs you mentioned as well.

evandude said:
I've never found a PIC I couldn't program with my JDM serial programmer. As nigel said, it's all about the software you use. The de facto standard seems to be IC-prog, which is a software I like, but it doesn't have recent device support. When I needed to program an 18F4550, I used WinPIC800; I'm sure it covers all the PICs you mentioned as well.

Hi all
icprog has alater ver1.05D.
and Winpic800 hasa ver3.60 .

i try touse both. as Nigel once opioned, JDM is a basic design. and we may try to improve upon it, foreg, it has limitations in interconnecting with COM port of latest mother boards with lower voltage working. here people resort to external Vpp and Vcc. while it may still be possible to generate 5v and approx 13.5v by using 5V witha charge pump as indicated in pikkit2 literature.

I have seen a design where they used 12c508 to give clock for a buffer transistor with a inductor in it clooector and diode from collector to rectify.

In another design they used MC34063A with few extra components to derive Vpp. Harware being important, Finally things depend on softare drivers.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Those should program on the same hardware (their programming hardware requirements are no different) - it's just down to your software supporting them.

Thanks, that got me looking to ICSP and although my little programmer has only a 18pin DIL sockets, it seems that I can just highjack the current feeds and place them into the correct pins of another socket somewhere else on the stripboard.

Thanks

Peter

I.C.S.P. Is a seriously good thing, saves wear and tear on pic legs. ( I wrote one off a few weeks back just taking it out of the programmer )
Alternatively, just look at the data sheets of the pin-outs where needed and make up a few 'adapters' using DIL sockets and hard wiring one that fits the programmer to the pic that you are using.. Or if you feel that it's worth it, how about a board with the necessary connections going to the right legs of various sized DIL sockets.

House0Fwax said:
I.C.S.P. Is a seriously good thing, saves wear and tear on pic legs. ( I wrote one off a few weeks back just taking it out of the programmer )

Simply fit your PIC with a turned pin socket - this protects the actual PIC pins and gives nice straight pins for inserting in the programmer and target sockets.

I've always done that, and NEVER broken a PIC pin, or even a turned socket pin.

It's also obviously a good idea to have a ZIF socket on your programmer!.

mvs sarma said:
while it may still be possible to generate 5v and approx 13.5v by using 5V witha charge pump as indicated in pikkit2 literature.

I've never looked at the pickit literature, but I have built a charge-pump voltage tripler based in the MAX1683, using the circuit in their app note #297.
**broken link removed**
Simple, cheap, small, and good to around 10mA output current so it works with pretty much all FLASH PICs (ie - pretty much every modern PIC as far as I know).

I used it to generate Vpp from the 5v USB bus power on a USB programmer I had so I didn't need a separate wallwart for the programmer. I don't think I've seen anyone go to such lengths with a JDM programmer, because if you're going to go to any trouble, you might as well just build an ICD2 or some other fancier programmer ;)

Nigel: I read your advice in a previous thread about turned pin sockets and thought that it was a fine idea. Though that was after my broken leg business and about the time I decided to implement ICSP in all future projects. Yay for hindsight :)

Hi, TPS ,

for a Feng3 version PIC (JDM programmer), it is too costly to pay the rate quoted by them. We can very well assemble 4 nos within that price.

Can any one suggest a cheap adopter for soic8 and tsop8 EEPROMS to adopt to ZIF socket.

Last edited:
I made mine for the cost of the parts and small pcb material. Using the tonner transfer method and some Pulsar paper, you can turn one out in about 30mins, drilled and soldered up.

He provides the patterns, part list for this project and also instruction on using the dfferent transistors.

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back