PIC programming problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

George L.

Hello,

I built one of those simple JDM programmers to work with the 16F628, to do some tutorials on Nigels site.

I downloaded the 1st programmer on the IC-PROG page and plugged in my programmer to my serial port...

The problem is I can't change anything in assembler mode, what the seceret?

thanks,
George L.

it's just decoding the .hex file ..it's not a editor . u need mplab or other assemblers to write ur program (.asm file).

thanks akg.

I just downloaded MPLAB. I am just trying to take Nigel's fist tutotial, the one where all the LEDS flash so fast you can't see the flashes, and program it to my PIC to see if my setup is working.

I took Nigel's tut1_1 and pasted it into MPLAB, what do I do now...somehow get it to the IC-PROG software so it can program my PIC?

Sorry, I have never worked with PIC before, I am trying to start

Help would be appreciated.

thanks,

George L.

mplab is an ide. I don't know nigel tutorials but you need to:
a) create a project
b) add files (.asm, .inc, ...) to the project
c) build, fix errors, build until no more errors
d) program gnerated .hex into target system

you can use the project wizard to do a and b.

If the IDE make you pull your hair out:
Edit any file with notepad save as xxx.asm
Finding and running MPASMWIN.EXE (in program files etc) give you the compiler
Launch IC-Prog and load the xxx.hex to program

u have to create a new project to start with , Project->new and add create a new .asm file and add it to the proj , paste ur code . select the device (eg: pic16h628a) in the configuration and compile. i would recommend u first learn debugging and simulation before programming the ic , u have to enable debugging by selecting a simulator , and set the clock speed in the debugger configuration . step through the code , watching the different SFR/GPRs

I am a new to PIC too... And I do not recommend you to cut and paste codes.
Get the gist and write it yourself.

It would be a lot good if you simulated the programme on the computer as well...
In MPLABIDE, Debugger > Select Tool > MPLAB SIM

And do watch your programme memory and File register.

hello,

thanks for the help everyone.

I tried simulating a simple LED flasher circuit in MPLAB IDE, it worked.

so, I used MPASM to make it into a hex file and pressed program all in IC-PROG.

It worked exept at the end it said Verify Failed at: h000000 (or something like that)

what does this mean?

George L.

It means the PIC hasn't been written, it's the most common error message - it's what JDM's are prone to!.

George L. said:
It worked exept at the end it said Verify Failed at: h000000 (or something like that)

what does this mean?

George L.

It means that it failed to program. I had this problem and then I switched to WinPic . It is more reliable than IC-PROG and has a very useful FAQ.

HTH

Mike.

try sourceboost
http://www.sourceboost.com/
it is an IDE and campatible with MPLAB it is too easy to work and make projects , this IDE work with C C++ and pascal language
it is nice and powerful
after you install this IDE you can use its tutorial and more exp. about pic
for program your pic you can use another software like:
http://pp06.sourceforge.net/
and use PIC simulator IDE for simulate your project it is simple ...

have good time with PIC

one other point. failure to program may be due to insufficient programming voltage (Vpp - typically 12.5-13.5V). Using a laptop?

thanks for the help everyone,

I tryed sourceboot and downloaded Winpic, I like it better.
I still can't get my setup working, but I think I found the problem....

I took the voltage off pin 4 to pin 5 on my serial port...it is 11.18V
This is too low, just as philba said. My computer is a DELL OPTIPLEX GX150.

How can I fix this? The FAQ from Winpic says to connect a 12V supply...pin4 + and pin5 -.
I have a 15V 1200mA wallwart...would this be OK???

thanks,

George L.

If you check the Help page for WinPic you will find lots of useful info and this diagram.

**broken link removed**

I assume that changing what you already have to the above would not be too difficult.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…