PIC sockets

Status
Not open for further replies.

YAN-1

I was just wondering. After I finish the testing process of my project and I want to take all the circuits I've built on those bread boards and change them into a nice PCB, can I use PIC sockets so that I can replace PICs even after the circuit is on a PCB?

Yes, it's preferable to use sockets.

I fit normal sockets in my boards, but fit my working PIC's permanently with turned pin sockets - this allows you to easily remove it from the socket on the board for reprogramming, without damaging the pins on the PIC. As the pins are nice and straight they plug in easily, and don't get damaged - and if they do you can easily replace the turned pin socket.

However, in MANY years of PIC programming, I've never broken a pin yet!.

Personally I never use bread boards, I've always thought them fairly nasty devices 8) I always build my test circuits on veroboard.

For the chips you want to replace easily on your PCB, use a socket. A standard socket works good for me, and they cost maybe a quarter or two. But if you go for a ZIF (easy-to-remove-chip) socket, then you will be paying several dollars.

I'm making a programmer myself, and my AT89C2051 chip will be fitting in a socket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…