PIC theremin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderchild

I know very littile of pics and am zero at programming yet but: could a pic (or other more powerful device of it's kind) be used to make a theremin. the two oscilators of course can be done the normal way and have the frequenzy to voltage conversion for the volume and pitch then leave the rest to the PIC ?
tell me your thoughts. if possible this could solve many problems like obtaining parts that are difficult to get and that are not cheap.
simon

Basically both pitch and volume stages are outputted from a CD 4098 which from what i understand is a frequenzy to voltage conveter and so maybe there is a pic program routine that cane be used to generate a sine or other wave form that will be multiplyed by the volume fact adequately modified if necesay to adapt to human hearing and perhaps the logoritmic response of the areal but am not sure on that one.
well i will go look up the 4098

Someone Electro said:
Ummmm.....

WHAT?

I dont unerstand what do you want to do!
I believe Theremin is a musical "instrument". The instrument consists of a box with two projecting radio antennas around which the user moves his or her hands to play.

More to see Here

And yes, this can be done with PIC.

akg said:
that was a cool instrument .. ,never heard of a thing like that ..

The Beach Boys used it back in the 60's (and still do), it's the strange sounding instrument on "Good Vibrations".

the closest thing i came across is a circuit ., which has two light sources and two ldr , similar to the above instrument , one can control the pitch and amplitude by waving palm over the lights.

i need info on the CD4098 IC in order to understand the diagram i have better and work out where to breack the circuit and put in a PIC

i have had another thought. the frequenzy of the oscilators is not that high realy can can be fed directly to a PIC or reduced with a counter/F divider saving many components. can anybody tell me how to calculate the frequenzy of and oscilator made with a 4093 gate. a resistor goes from input to output and a condenser from input to ground. i think this is a nand gate connected as a not gate

Thunderchild said:
yea i did and got the same crap datasheet as on the TI web site it does not explain anything
then have a check in this too..
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…