Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

pic universal programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

riyunikenshee

hi iam new here, i just wanna ask about pic programmer., i looking for a pic programmer that i can used in my project.. i want to design my own . plz help. i dont want to buy any of the expensive programmer.. thank you

lord loh. said:
Searching myself, I couldn't find any circuits for a Universal PIC Programmer.

Depends what you mean by "Universal"?, the P16PRO40 will program any vaguely modern PIC, only limited by the software you use.

I know you said that you dont want to buy one
and I thought of building too,
BUT, the Kanda Presto impresed me so much I bought it instead.
for $118 US including shipping it was well wornt it.
programs mst all pics,atmel, eeproms, you name it
usb, fast never fails
If I had chosen to roll my own I`d still be designing the pcb:)
just my .02

lord loh. said:
Searching myself, I couldn't find any circuits for a Universal PIC Programmer.

I guess the discussion is legitimate. The Universal PIC programmers in Jay's post is exclusively software.
Which post of Jay's are you referring to? Is that the "sticky post"?

Last edited:
Homebrew programmers are a great learning exercise but you can spend an incredible amount of time developing the software (and the firmware, if you decide to design a programmer with a PIC).

If you're interested, here's my third design which uses a 16F88. The first and second versions were almost identical but used an 18F258 and an 18F2320, respectively. All three use ICSP control circuitry similar to the melabs serial and usb programmers.

More recently I thought I might try building a novelty programmer using an 8-pin 12F683 with most of the intelligence built into the PC host software but it's hard to find the time, and also, I suppose it's really time to start designing for the USB interface.

Have fun. Regards, Mike

Attachments

• PPP-88 #3.jpg
    PPP-88 #3.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 403
  • PPP-88.JPG
    PPP-88.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 306
William At MyBlueRoom said:
It's a good ICD2 clone, but DONT use a 16F877A or 16F876A (use the non A parts) the 661.HEX won't work for MPLAB 7.40
Sorry Bill, you're wrong. The '876A and '877A devices work fine with MPLAB v7.40. Perhaps there's a problem with your bootloader file.

Attached, please find the modified bootloader file for '876A and '877A devices. Rename it from .txt to .hex after downloading it.

Regards, Mike

Attachments

• ICD2_Bootloader_A.txt
    3 KB · Views: 148
  • ICD2 screen shot.JPG
    ICD2 screen shot.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 1,391
Last edited:
zkt_PiratesDen said:
I know you said that you dont want to buy one
and I thought of building too,
BUT, the Kanda Presto impresed me so much I bought it instead.
for $118 US including shipping it was well wornt it.
programs mst all pics,atmel, eeproms, you name it
usb, fast never fails
If I had chosen to roll my own I`d still be designing the pcb:)
just my .02

On topic.. P16PRO40 is cheap and works for a lot of the PICS (not all the lastest ones but probably more than you will need for while). If you are after the Microchip PIC family only, it is a great programmer for the price. And winpicprog and winpic work with it and the price is right (free).

Off topic and funny. I went to read the forums from my EMAIL links and thought when I am done I will leave a new post to ask if anyone has a Presto USB programmer.

My plans were to get an Olimex ICD2 for PIC debugging (and programming) as my next toy, but just found out my Atmel STK500 is dead when I needed to program a 1200A for a friends TENS unit.

I have seen the Presto, and said one day for overall programming.. NOW with my STK dead.. I need a programmer for AVR.. I thought I would get a Presto if it had a good report and the Olimex ICD2 clone will be after that.. I want to do ICD with the PIC/MPLAB so bad and just never make it there.

It is $129.00, not sure about shipping at microcontrollershop.com. Where did you get yours for $119.00US with shipping?

Also, I saw the PIC 16F628A had a "?" by it and a link. Also the AVR Mega8 (I really like that chip and have many) has "?" by it..

? : Fully supports operation with Vdd below 5V.
? : These three devices have peremptory restrictions in the programming algorithm (Microchip errata document 80151G).

I will call them Monday for details and read 80151G later..

Have you done the 16F628A on yours?

Any feedback is welcome. Looks like the Presto is a good deal for the price.

Mike said:
Sorry Bill, you're wrong. The '876A and '877A devices work fine with MPLAB v7.40. Perhaps there's a problem with your bootloader file.

Attached, please find the modified bootloader file for '876A and '877A devices. Rename it from .txt to .hex after downloading it.

Regards, Mike

I'll try it tonight, Where did you get it?

I got it from edaboard. I recall there were a couple different files offered up. One worked and one didn't. This is the one that works.

Regards, Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back