Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC voltage doubler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosaic

Hi all:
I have a 3.6V Li ion 1400Mah battery supply but I need to run some multiplexed 3.5Vf LEDs so I need to use a pic output pin as a voltage doubler to provide some headroom for batt discharge.
Prob is I need about a 200ma supply from it.
Is there a method using bipolar transistors (2n2222/2907) to achieve this level of current?

thx
Ancel

The EEVBlog had a couple videos talking about these. Have a look and you'll probably learn everything you need to know.

Easiest Way to do it would be to use a boost converter for the LEDs and have a transistor on the output of the PIC for selecting the LEDs. You can use a voltage doubler, but I always thought they were only good for a few mA (double the voltage, half the current).

Sims of the doubler creates massive ripple under loads. The inductor approach yields reasonable results..
Here is a sim using a 2n2222 to charge the inductor and a low ESR 220uf smoothing cap coupled with a zener voltage limiter.
https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/s...-1&catalogId=10001&pa=606820&productId=606820

The sim. shows around 6Volts at the 200mA with good ripple due to the 200Khz PWM.

I selected an inductor for its average current, but I'd like some advice on its suitability as it's called an RF choke.
https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_642492_-1

Edit: the LTspice file shows the eff % to be around 80% with a 0.6% ripple which isn't bad for a bipolar switch. No attempt at V reg is made....although there is a limiting Zener, which doesn't do much unless the load is removed. It draws about 9mA peak to limit the boost V then.

Attachments

• PIC PWM Vboost.asc
    2.2 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
For experimentation its fine, but once you start restricting yourself (ie Battery power, efficiency, etc) you'll want to use something with a lower DC resistance and a specialized IC for LED's. I have used those inductors with a "dummy" 555 boost converter.

Look at NCP3065. Simple LED boost converters. The IC's are cheap as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back