PIC Voltage Meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

iflymyhelishigh

Hi guys, I am working on a PIC Voltage Meter. Apparently I should be using a PIC with a Analog input, and I have chosen a PIC16F88 for that.

I want to measure voltages up to 12 volts, and display it on a 16X2 HD44780 compatible screen. Apparently I need to have a resistor voltage divider for that, is there a formula to come up with the resistor values I need?

What do you think I will need for this project? I am thinking just a very simple PIC itself, resistor voltage divider, and LCD screen. The power supply I am using to monitor the voltage has a 5 volt output, so I am covered with the voltage supply.

Thanks guys, iflymyhelishigh

Check my analogue tutorial, which explains all you need to know - and is very easy to move to a 16F88.

I would advise an opamp buffer (as my tutorial uses) because the analogue inputs need a low source impedance.

Check my analogue tutorial, which explains all you need to know - and is very easy to move to a 16F88.

I would advise an opamp buffer (as my tutorial uses) because the analogue inputs need a low source impedance.

If the analog voltage is slow moving, a 0.1uF cap at the PIC's input should be plenty enough to swamp the sample and hold cap.

If the analog voltage is slow moving, a 0.1uF cap at the PIC's input should be plenty enough to swamp the sample and hold cap.

And would make the situation massively worse - so how would that help?.

If the input is slow moving it doesn't matter anyway, as long as you're not switching inputs - if you do, you have to allow time for the capacitor to charge or discharge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…