Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC12C508A with I2C , 4 EEPROM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam1419

Hallo,

I start my first programming >>> PIC 12C508A.
Must i write the I2C by software means? when yes as?
I search courses in beginners who can recommend you to me.

For your aid I am in advance very much thankful.
Adam

most of the midrange PIC uC have i2c hardware built in, look for a module called SSP or MSSP (synchronus serial port). However, I don't think that module exists in the 12 series, they're just too tiny ... so you will need to emulate the different timings and whatnot, with software.

I don't have any examples for you, but I'm sure there are some at microchip.com and certainly google.com

the 508 as I recall, is an 8 pin device, with 5 I/O and 1 Input-Only pin ... I'm not sure I'd "waste" 2 of my I/O lines with an i2c eeprom ...some of the newer 12F chips have eeprom built in, or perhaps consider 1-wire eeprom?

Yes, you need to write it in software, you might check my tutorials which give I2C software, but for the 16 series PIC's - I'm not sure if the routines use any of the instructions the low-end 12 series don't have?.

However, the 12C508 is a really old device, and OTP (One Time Programmable), far better to use a modern FLASH/EEPROM device so you can reprogram it (without buying expensive JW UV eraseable versions). There are a number of modern 8 pin PIC's, including a FLASH version of the 12C508, the 12F508.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back