Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC16F628A the Voltage Reference (VRCON) anybody using it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have experimented with PICs voltage reference, and it could serve as a primitive D/A.
It's drive capabilites are very bad, OPamp is necessary. (You can't even connect LCDs contrast pin directly to it). I think that it could serve as a good fast , low resolution D/A, but I doubt it can be used for tone generation (PWM would work perfectly). Keep in mind that it's output is not rail-to-rail, and is affected by VDD noise and instabilty.

I used it in conjunction with one of the comparators to measure the voltage of a 12v battery that was powering the circuit. A 9.1V zener got it into the right ball park and then by adjusting VRCON and checking the comparator you can work out the main battery voltage. Not very accurate but good enough for a battery low indicator.

Never tried it the other way around.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back