Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pic16f628p?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, I am wondering what a PIC16F628P vs a PIC16F628A is.

I am building a circuit in Eagle and could only find a 16F628P.

There are PIC16F628 and PIC16F628A processor chips, they have the same pinouts.

The eagle PIC16F628P part should work. Microchip uses the I/P sufix to indicate DIP packages, I think that is where the P sufix on the part came from.

A search on the Microchip web site did not find a 16f628p
but
there is a 16f628a I/P , the I/P best remember has something to do with Temp. range that the chip will work at.
maybe this will help

The "P" just indicates that the chip is a PDIP (Plastic Dual Inline Package)

The 16F628 and 16F628A are pin compatible, with only slight differences between the two. The "A" version is an updated version of the previous chip.

For board layout purposes in Eagle, using this 18 pin DIP footprint is fine, as would be any other 18 pin 300mil DIP.

The "I" does stand for a temperature rating and is for -40C to +85C.

yep my memory is coming back now "I think" there's E and I and the E is one temp range and I's temp range goes a little lower.
anyway MAYBE we answered the ?

Temperature identifications:
"-" = 0C to +70C
"I" = -40C to +85C
"E" = -40C to +125C

Some package identifications:
"ML" = QFN (Quad Flat No-lead)
"P" = PDIP (Plastic Dual Inline Package)
"PF/PT" = TQFP (Thin Quad Flat Package)
"SO" = SOIC (Small Outline Integrated Circuit)
"SP" = SDIP (Skinny Plastic Dual Inline Package)
"SS" = SSOP (Shrink Small Outline Package)

At times too much information is not a good thing.
If I had stopped at this which answered the OP's question I doubt that anyone would have continued the thread.

The eagle PIC16F628P part should work

But I had to speculate about where the P in the Eagle part number came from.

Microchip uses the I/P sufix to indicate DIP packages, I think that is where the P sufix on the part came from.

OK, the I is the temperature range but I got the DIP part right. All the OP wanted to know is was if the Eagle part world work.:)

^^
*Stands in the corner avoiding eye-contact & inspects fingernails*

:D

No worries.

Sometimes, in an effort to provide maximum information, we tend to provide additional details that also cover possible further questions...

In relation to the OP's question, these details are quite redundant, but they may help to reduce chances of this thread being brought back from the dead in 5 year's time. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back