Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC16F690 code/hex loaded on to a PIC18F1320?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boosted3svt

I have a project that I am working on replicating (bare in mind I am NOT a microcontroller programmer nor do I have any experience further than loaded/saving/verifying on microcontrollers at work..)

The program is written and based on the projects called for IC, the PIC16F690.

I have a plethora of PIC18F1320 ICs.. Can I still use this, or should I purchase the 16F IC instead?

If I've skipped past any required forum steps, please forgive me and point me to where I should have gone. Thank you for entertaining the question of a new member.

Ray

Ray,
what is the original project code designed to do?

Can you provide a listing for others to review? (Copy the .asm text, go advanced, click the # icon to insert CODE tags - [ CODE ][ /CODE ] - then left-click between the ] & [ brackets & CTRL+V to paste and keep the proper formatting)

If you don't have the source .asm, as Nigel points out, you would likely be better off just getting a '690.

Regards.

Mickster,

Yes, I have the ASM file. The code allows a multiplexed set of LEDS to strobe quickly enough to create a POV effect for a three dimensional cube/image.

the website and project are at the "Instructables" website.
The code is also on that projects' page. I tried to post the ASM contents but the post length was then too long (52xxx characters.. must be shortened by 20xxx characters to post.lol)

I'll ATTACH the ASM however.

Simple, elementary, stupid? I don't know... I'm not a coder.. I am an electronics technician, though so making the circuit will be a breeze... and I have the 18F1320 available.. so..... What say you? possible? for a non-programmer?

Thanks again for all your help!

Ray

Attachments

• LED.asm
    42.2 KB · Views: 131
It's a fairly straight forward program, but to convert it to 18F you would need to have some degree of experience with programming, and PIC's in particular.

I've been going through some of my PIC tutorials (based on 16F) and converting them for 18F, it's surprising how many little things catch you out.

Thank you for the reply, Nigel.

I've seen your name (and your website, which I checked out for myself; good luck on the robot project for your daughter and yourself!!) mentioned more than once and I appreciate the reply.

Unfortunately I have ZERO experience programming any chips and the feasibility of learning (the hard way!!) what needs to be changed and what doesn't compared to the monetary loss from purchasing another IC makes it a no-brainer. Looks like I am buying a 16F690...

Thank you for your time and help!

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back