Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pic16f84a and pic16c54

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both are antiques, but even the long obselete F84 is a better chip than the C54 - it should be fairly easy to port a C54 program to the F84, or even better a modern replacement for the 84.

Hi,

Replacing a 16C54 by a 16F84 may not be "so easy" due to the stack and program counter width ... ( ahaaaaaa ...)

Much better use a newer 16F54 ... especially raised for compatibility ...

Alain

Last edited:
No problem at all, as the 14 bit series are upwards compatible - the other way would be VERY different though.

Hi, Nigel

I have here a nice old DCF project from elektor ( Berliner Uhr ) for you to translate, if you want ...

Dozens of "not too bad" programmers have quitted ... but the original works fine !!!

I join it for the game ...

Alain

Attachments

• BRLNUHR.ASM
    33.6 KB · Views: 167
Hi, Nigel

Problems arise with the subs addressing ... as the Stack is only 2 level deep, programmer used nice tricks ... and when porting to a wider PC chip ... bits truncature ( I suppose ) used are no more truncated ...
so addressing becomes false ...

from there to fine running, no one found the right way ... to that day ...

Alain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back