Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC18 based crystal tester plausible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triode

I'd like to be able to use salvaged crystals, but I don't own a frequency counter, or a ocilloscope, because most of my projects are robotic, and usually when I work with crystalls, I'm just plugging one in to make a usb device or a transmitter work, I don't get into detail with them.

So brainstorm with me if you will, how plausible would it be to make a PIC18 based crystal frequency tester? and what pitfalls would it encounter? And by the way, if there is a project writeup for a similar idea already out there, please direct me to it.

I'm looking for input on how this might best be accomplished, but heres what I'm thinking of: It seems like it could be as simple as setting one chip to work on a crystal with an open socket for the crystal itself, and either another part of that chip or a separate chip could run on a crystal that allows a 1 second clock, 38 point something MHZ i think it is. The first clock could count, and the second could request that count every second. Take an average every few seconds, and display the frequency by any of a number of means, even a simple led binary readout would be fine for my purposes. I know that pics are limited in how high of a frequency they can run, but I figure that issue may be solved by the fact that I primarily care about crystalls that they can use since I'm using these crystals for PIC chip projects.

Last edited:
It depends on what range of frequencies you need to test, and whether you want to use fundamental-only modes. If you're looking for microprocessor crystals, 0-16 MHz fundamental is a pretty good assumption.

You can build an oscillator out of almost any inverter chip (74LS04 etc), so build your oscillator that way, with the convenient socket. Then feed its signal into something like this project: Frequency counter with PIC and 4- to 5-digit LED display.

By the way, I found this by typing 'pic frequency counter' into Google. This same web site is a top choice on Bing and Yahoo!

I did Google it, but I searched for "pic based crystal tester", knowing what to call something is important too. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back