Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC18F & Microchip C18

Status
Not open for further replies.

yngndrw

Hi,

Well I started out wanting to learn some ASM, learnt a bit and found that programs in ASM take too long to develop.

Seeming that I already know a lot of C (For Windows, mind) I thought I'd start making my programs in that instead.

I've managed to make a multi-tasking system which runs multi-channel PWM quite nicely. I've got this hooked up to the three colours of an RGB LED so I can make pretty colours in my room. :) I've also got an LCD working off a shift register, but that's beside the point.

I'd now like to add sequences to the light.

I found this awesome site in someone's sig here: **broken link removed**

That project is a pretty nice RGB LED controller and I'd like to design my own version of it using USB.

In his ASM he used "dt" to store the light sequences in a data table. What is the best method of doing this in Microchip's C18 ?

Also I've found a few little things on Google but nothing too helpful: Are there any guides about using USB with the PIC18F2550 / 4550, in C18 ? A USB bootloader for them PICs with C18 source would be nice if anybody can link me. ;)

Edit: I found some nice looking USB examples:
http://www.sixca.com/eng/articles/usb_cdc/index.html
http://www.sixca.com/eng/articles/usbdaq/index.html
http://www.sixca.com/eng/articles/usbstepping/index.html

Still looking for tutorials though.

Thanks,
-Andrew. :)

Last edited:
You can store data in the flash ROM like this:
static ROM unsigned char YourStuff[] = { 0x3c, 0x68 };

You can also include the original assembly data file, make the data pointer global so it is visible from C, and then C can just access the data through the pointer.

There is the **broken link removed**. It uses the same (microchip) firmware as the other page you found. The slight advantage with the UBW is that it is available from Sparkfun as a prebuilt module. Sparkfun also has a forum dedicated to it.

Mike.

Thanks for your replies.

For the static ROM method, what would be the best method of finding out the size of the array ? Is the size_of() function implemented in the C18 compiler ?

I think I'll stick to just the one language to neaten and simplify things a little. Thanks for the idea though.

Edit: Replied at the same time. :eek: Thanks for the link, I'll look into that more. :)

Edit2: Just noticed that the UBW uses COM Port emulation. This is no good to me as the reason I wanted to support USB is that I'm running out of decent COM Port numbers (COM1, COM2 etc). Am I reading it right that it emulates the COM Port ?

Last edited:
The UBW has a bootloader that can load any code. The examples on that site are serial but could be any USB device. Have a look through the application notes on Microchips website for some examples.

Mike.

Is the size_of() function implemented in the C18 compiler ?
Yes, the sizeof() operator will work in C18

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back