Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Picaxe button help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pdf

Which PDF? I think it is because the PixAxe can only sink/source so much current and the resistor is to limit that current.

EDIT: I think I found the PDF. WIth the 1Kohm resistor right?

Think about it...you connect 5V to 0V through a wire and a switch both of which have essentially zero resistance...how much current do you think flows when the switch is closed? In theory, an infinite amount of current. In practice? As much current as the battery can provide. WIthout the resistor it makes short circuit and that makes stuff overheat, explode and melt.

Last edited:
CUrretn

Yeah, without the 10K resistor, when the switch is closed you have a short circuit between 5V and 0V. Remember, a battery isn't just a voltage- it provides a current too and the resistor is there to limit that current.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back