PICBASIC vs BASIC Stamp? (or other opinions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simple actually, if you want to program in BASIC on a PIC. What do you use? What PIC BASIC do you like or dislike?

Or would you use a Parallax Stamp?

(I'm not looking for C or ASM opinions at this time)

Depends how many you need, and what you are doing - PIC BASIC is expensive to buy, but so are STAMP's - if you need a fair number it's cheaper to buy BASIC and use cheap PIC's. Plus it's a LOT faster and more versatile, STAMP's are expensive, slow, and very limited.

Helloween said:
How are they limited exactly? Just curious.

Lack of memory space, and the interpreted way they work - however the later ones have considerably more memory space than the older ones. I've never used a STAMP, but presumably you can't run in-line assembler on them either? - which is also very limiting.

Try SX/B BASIC for the Stamp

Parallax now has a FREE BASIC for their Stamp, SX/B. I believe it supports inline assembly to some extent. They have said this is for educational purposes actually, and don't recommend it for commercial projects. But, several people seem to do real work with it. It's limited, but, man, is the price ever right!

If you want something with more power than the SX, and has its own BASIC, then look at the Atom at basicmicro.com. The compiler for this only supports two versions of the Microchip line of PICs, but they have a lot of useful features: more RAM, FLASH, and ROM then the Stamp, as well as internal peripherals like 5- and 8-channel ADC, CCP, PMW, a real USART with buffering, and more. Executes instructions 3 to 4 times faster. Comes as different sized modules, starting at $50. Also available as a single DIP part for $25 for the 28 pin part. Also comes as a 40 pin part. All have bootloading capability. Just start the compiler, write code, connect the Atom to the serial port, and download code. When done, the latest code starts automatically. The good news: THE BASIC IS ALSO FREE! And has real power, leaves practically no builtin feature unimplemented. Better yet, it has a decent debugger built into the compiler. Check out the modules and development kits here:
**broken link removed**

End Two Cents.
kenjj

I have a Basic Stamp and also tried my way out with antique pics, Basic Stamps are for faster development needs, such as in when some idea pop in and using a pic just takes a lot of time so see it work ... It has a serial RS-232 protocol implemented which make any kind of correction for the baud rate selected, also other stuff has a RC charge time measure function ... PWM ... with the right code it can be everything but limited in the functions point of view ... but speed and space is very limited as Mr. Nigel said, the pic in the Basic Stamp board only has a interpreter software that reads and interprets the code in the eeprom ...
I have a solution for space problems but i didn't tried it yet ... if the pic reads the eeprom till the end of the space then you can take it out and put a compatible bigger one in the place they are very common serial eeproms ... But if the pic program is limited in reading purposes then it doesn't matter ...

Well, for fast and small development use Basic Stamp only if you have the money (my point is, don't borrow, it is not worthy) !!!
If you know a lot of asm and protocol timings and have time to write in asm, then pic, also if you can use a pic 18 or 24 series and have a C compiler then i can just say leave the pic alone ...

Best Regards,
Tiago Silva.

Yep i'm sure that it is in another dimention ... Have you checked the url you gave ? Car Brand named Proton kinda cute but not what i'm look'in for ...

Bill..

Proton is the best, but $$$ or the demo that gives you 50 lines of code (good luck on that).

Mikrobasic is my pick for now, as the demo does 2K of code (.hex), and it is cross platform, DsPIC and Atmel versions.. And others.

I bought Mbasic, it is not bad, but is interpreted.. Looking to probably sell it as I have never put the CD in, and I really want Proton (did not know that until after I bought it).. I also hold onto Mbasic (www.basicmicro.com) as they have a $59 ISP Pro (that programs and does ICD in BASIC)..

I have the MELabs Standard as well. I will never use it, bought it a couple months ago and there is no IF ELSE ENDIF.. I could not call that BASIC at all.
Did not reasearch that one well..

If I can get the inchworm up (drilling is killing me) I will get the ISP ISD for Microbasic or pop for Proton.

mramos1 said:
I have the MELabs Standard as well. I will never use it, bought it a couple months ago and there is no IF ELSE ENDIF.. I could not call that BASIC at all.

IF/ELSE/ENDIF was never a BASIC construct, it was mostly a Pascal one - later versions of BASIC stole it - so not having the construct in no way prevents it being a fully fledged BASIC.

Later versions of BASIC drifted very much towards Pascal like syntax and constructs.

If I am to use it, it will have IF ELSE ENDIF. Everything since 1982-3 range I have used has it, but Stadard MELabs (and the Stamp 1 I am told) do not have it.

Basic has come a long way for sure. I never cared for Pascal, C was sort of OK, but I would just use ASM, I can hang myself much faster that way..

Well thanks this compiler is new to me, i could give a try some day, but C is probably the best language for me, as i program for windows with it too ( visual c++ ) ... Since we are in discution of this, which is the best C compiler ( full with all sort of libs ) ? ( For PIC of course ... )

I use and really like Proton, but I'm curious about Mikrobasic... one of these days I'll check it out.

Also, what about the picaxe chips ... they run on basic, but the software is free, and the chips are low cost, normal pics, with what, a special serial bootloader on them?

No, it's a BASIC interpreter, like a cheap version of a STAMP, the smaller ones just use the internal EEPROM for program storage - so are VERY limited, but amazing value for money!.

I think a BASIC Interpreter would be kinda' cool. I'm reminded of the power and capability of Woz's Integer BASIC in 2K ROM on my Apple ][ (March '79).

I think the PICAxe folks have come up with a good idea, if a bit pricey.

Regards, Mike

justDIY.. If you have Proton, and only to PICS. IMHO you have it all..

The microbasic.com sell some thing like the picaxe too. I think it is a boot loader and runtime.

I want ICD2 (which I am slowly building) and Proton PRO for Christmas.

Mike said:
I think a BASIC Interpreter would be kinda' cool. I'm reminded of the power and capability of Woz's Integer BASIC in 2K ROM on my Apple ][ (March '79).

I've still got MicroSoft BASIC in 10K of ROM in my Microtan 65.

I think the PICAxe folks have come up with a good idea, if a bit pricey.

I thought the PICAXE's were incredibly cheap, often costing no more than a blank PIC.

Nigel Goodwin said:
I thought the PICAXE's were incredibly cheap, often costing no more than a blank PIC.
Then I'll have to take another look as it's been awhile since I looked last.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…