Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC's and licence free radio modules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nigel Goodwin

Super Moderator
Most Helpful Member
OK, I've got my new tutorial uploaded now, it will probably require a little tweaking and a few changes :lol:

It's to do with using licence free radio modules and Manchester coding.

There's basically five parts at the moment.

1: Sending single byte packets, displayed by either RS232 or LCD.

2: Sending four byte packets, displayed by either RS232 or LCD.

3: Remote control, turning LED's ON and OFF.

4: Remote control, toggling LED's ON and OFF.

5: Sending two analogue voltage readings, and displaying via RS232.

I look forward to comments :roll:

PIC

When I passed my electronics exams we had just started to get computers into the sylibus, so I now find myself at a loss with this stuff.

I am just getting my head around C++, but could somebody advise me on the best way to learn PIC? :?

My jobs in the electronics prototyping field never needed me to know programing, but as I get more work in as a free-lance tech I think I should learn about programing........ :shock:

Re: PIC

rigdoctor99 said:
When I passed my electronics exams we had just started to get computers into the sylibus, so I now find myself at a loss with this stuff.

I am just getting my head around C++, but could somebody advise me on the best way to learn PIC? :?

My jobs in the electronics prototyping field never needed me to know programing, but as I get more work in as a free-lance tech I think I should learn about programing........ :shock:

You should start by searching the past discussions, then ask more specific questions in a new thread and not in a existing one about a slightly more advanced topic.

pic

Thanks for that.............I will go star a new thread :roll:

hey Nigel, great work .. this tutorial will surely help me a lot !
I'm a bit busy now, will study it after a few days....

One thing that came to my mind...

Can we use the PICs with integrated transmitters to send packets of data wirelessly..The rfPIC12F675, I think has an integrated ASK Transmitter for the 433MHz range. I have not delved into this at all, but want your opinion on this. Is it feasible, as compared to using exrternal radio modules, in terms of quick code development , cost per IC, quality of transmission.. ?
Since both, the modules and the PIC use 433Mhz, the issues about legal radio bands in my place is no more an issue.

Electrix said:
Can we use the PICs with integrated transmitters to send packets of data wirelessly..The rfPIC12F675, I think has an integrated ASK Transmitter for the 433MHz range. I have not delved into this at all, but want your opinion on this. Is it feasible, as compared to using exrternal radio modules, in terms of quick code development , cost per IC, quality of transmission.. ?
Since both, the modules and the PIC use 433Mhz, the issues about legal radio bands in my place is no more an issue.
It still is! Remember that retail radio modules are certified (they have suitable parameters), wheras your home-made radio part may need a certification (that is not cheap). rfPIC is a bit more difficult solution (and it is only transmiter) so just head to retail radio module (no need for designing HF analog frontend).

Electrix said:
hey Nigel, great work .. this tutorial will surely help me a lot !
I'm a bit busy now, will study it after a few days....

One thing that came to my mind...

The rfPIC is essentially an 8 pin PIC built in a 20 pin body, the rest of the space being used for the transmitter components. It's a LOT more complex to use an rfPIC than a ready built module, because you're basically building the module from scratch. Considering the low price of the modules, I would suspect it will be considerably more expensive to use an rfPIC? - unless you're buying in production quantities.

My existing tutorial code should work on an rfPIC with only very minor changes, such as the output pin used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back