Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Piezo Quartz Oscillator Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

o_fidalgo

Hello Electro Tech, my first post here.

I am trying to arrange around 5 quartz oscillators (tuning forks) into a circuit. Not trying to make a clock, solely to get a small number of these oscillators I bought to vibrate at their res 32.768kHz frequency.
**broken link removed**

This is my first circuit project, and my goal is to create a mini humidifier (like the small nebulizing devices you can buy walmart). I know this isn't going to generate near the efficiency or potential these devices can put out, but I figure this would be a good project as I am interested in piezoelectrics.

I intend on removing the metal casings of the oscillators, so the bare quartz is exposed.
I figure if I get a higher amount of amplitude behind them compared to their usual application in clocks/timing, it may be enough to atomize droplets of water.

According to Lang's formula for particle size and atomization, I think I should get some atomized droplets and humidity out of this.
**broken link removed**

So I need a power source, an oscillator, and a driver put into a circuit similar to a traditional quartz clock, but with more oscillators, a bit more power, and no timing or gears to run.

If anyone could help steer me in the right direction on what kind of circuit I need and how I can accomplish this project it would be greatly appreciated! (I know this might seem odd or elementary to some of you, but I figure I should start somewhere.)

It takes a substantial amount of power to run a commercial nebulizer cell (10's of W). The tiny 32kHz crystals are operated with drive levels of uW, so I cannot believe that they will tolerate being driven hard enough to create water droplets without shattering.

You can use a simple logic gate to drive those. Pierce oscillator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia but you should put 10 k or so in between the output of the gate and the common point of the crystal and the output load capacitor.

You won't get a lot of power out of the watch crystals, and once you take the case off them, the electrodes will corrode. Also, it may be very difficult to get them to oscillate if they are damped by any water.

You would do far better to get a piezo speaker and drive that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back