Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PiezoElectricity???

Status
Not open for further replies.

artur83

I need to correspond with someone knowledgeable about piezoelectric acutators and motors.
I am working on a project and I think piezoelectronics is the way to go.
If anyone has any experience with piezos I'd like to hear from you.

Thank you for your time and help.

well piezos are transdusors.they convert electicety to motion or motion to electricety.

Piezos are uses in many forms:
-as small spekers
-as ignitors (in lighters)
-as motors
-even as viration cancelers in skies

Can I use a piezo element as a small fluid pump? to pump small amounts of fluids?

What current do piezoelectric printheads take? I read that they vibrate at 20kHz. so would it be DC? at 100Volts?

weell i dont know about the fluid pump.To pump i wod conect an small pump to an DC motor

well they wary in the input/output power
-piezo spekers (those flat things the make sound) can work even on 1V but they have the same eficeny on on varius freq.
-piezo lighters output up to 15 000 V at max 0.3mA (those things that click and produse an arc in lighters whith only the button)
-motors thend to be low sped but i dont know what power do they use (try loking at some datashets from these)
-in some expesive skys there is an piezo in the full length of the sky and the putput is shorted so they covert the vibracions in the sky to small amounts of heat that gets radiated in the enviorment

piezo is exuly an material that flexes wen curent goes thru it or the produce curent if they are flexd

an simaler thing are petrily elements they can move heat from one side to an other (so if you run a curent thru it one side will get cold and the other hot)or if one side is hot and the other cold it will produce curent

ua

I recall seeing a Rochelle salt piezo element that was about 15 cm square and able to move a stylus about 1.5 cm. It was slow. A smaller unit could be faster. Quartz crystals vibrate at 100s of megacycles per second.

Hi Russel, thanks for the response.
Since you're so knowledgeable in electronics, maybe I can ask you the following:
I am looking for a pinout diagram of any inkjet cartridge. (thermal, piezo or electrostatic).
OR
How do I make a cartridge to drop ink droplets? I know it is possible to make a thermal inkjet cartridge to run off a battery, since HP just released a small portable inkjet color printer that does just that.
I have a really awesome (art)project in my head, and I really want to get it out into the real world. but I need a lot of help.

I want the printer to do nothing.
What I want is for the ink cartridge to drop on demand WITHOUT the printer.

I want to connect a battery (preferably a cell battery or a AAA) to a black ink cartridge through a variable resistor. And use it like an airbrush.

Can you help me?

artur83 said:
I want the printer to do nothing.
What I want is for the ink cartridge to drop on demand WITHOUT the printer.

I want to connect a battery (preferably a cell battery or a AAA) to a black ink cartridge through a variable resistor. And use it like an airbrush.

They don't have pumps inside, as far as I'm aware the cartridge will only supply a very small amount of ink at one time. You need to pulse it rapidly to generate more than a single drop.

I'm also EXTREMELY doubtful about using it as an airbrush, I imagine it won't travel any distance at all - also, as far as I know, they all work vertically downwards?, presumably using gravity to help?.

Sure.. that much I understand... did my research... some very cool info at www.imaging.org
the piezo element or the heater element does act like a mini-pump by the process you describe.
I'm all for it traveling downward only, it'll be ok for my project.
And I understand that the elements cycle very fast to expell a large abount of droplets combined with 300-600 nozzles on a printhead. As far as I know, the piezo elements in the printhead operate at 20kHz.

If someone could guide me through modding a printer that will work with a cartridge taken outside of it (cause usualy the refuse to operate when they sense a mod/error) I'd be very thankfull.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back