Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pizzicato - TDR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papabravo

Most Helpful Member
For project night at our radio club back in September, I fabricated a kit for a low duty cycle pulse generator called Pizzicato. The original article, by G. Steinbaugh, PE AF8L, appeared in the March/April 2006 issue of QEX. You can use it in conjunction with an oscilliscope to do TDR(Time Domain Reflectometry). I modified the design to have all the components mounted on a single double sided PC board. I have 60 or so kits remaining. Send me a PM if you're interested.

https://www.arrl.org/qex/2006/03/steinbaugh.pdf

Last edited:
Hi Guyzz,

Can this TDR idea can be used to detect the the POWER THEFT and to locate the Position of power theft and communicate that information to Power distribution system using GSM. Kindly let me know whether any chages required to make it compatible with the transformer lines.

Regards
Sanath
Bangalore / India

In my experience the TDR technique works on transmission lines with a controlled constant impedance.

By its very nature the power distribution system is generally considered to have an uncontrolled variable impedance with numerous discontinuities. I don't think the technique is even remotely feasible for your application.

Thanx so much Papabravo for ur reply

Even I was thinking about the same regarding the variable impedance and other discontinuities caused by the connectors & other taps. Do you think it is not at all possible with the TDR technique. There may be some solution for this. but the thing is like at any cost I need to this project. Kindly have some alternative for this.

Regards
Sanath
Bangalore /India

Email: sanathmcx@rediffmail.com

Kindly let me know the specifications( like Bandwidth & Rise time, Time divisions) of CRO used for the TDR Project since I need to buy the CRO specially for this project.

Regards
Sanath Kumar
Bangalore/India

I have a Tektronix 2246. It is a medium performance analog instrument with a 100 MHz Bandwidth. For the same $2499 that I paid in 1981 I'm sure you can find a better instrument.

Thanx Papabravo for the details...I will check out for the further details from Tektronix.

Regards
Sanath
Bangalore/India

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back