PLC Programming cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

computeruser

Is it true these seemingly straight through cables are equipped with components? $50 seems alot to jump into this new (to me) field. I have obtained a PLC (Siemons S7-200) for free and want to fool around. I am assuming I can find the software for free. Any ideas how to do this on the cheap?

The communications cabling needs tend to be specific to each brand/model of PLC vendor. Some have uncommon connector used on the PLC end and as far as straight through or special serial wiring needed, again that would be specific to the brand/model. As far as software, I would be suprized if it was free as most vendors either charged seperately for it or only bundled it with the original purchase. Sorry for no first hand answers for your S7-200, but perhaps someone here does have experiance. Did you try a google search or check out the vendors web site perhaps?

Lefty

Hello! Thanks for the reply. The vendors on the Web want $50 for the cable. They claim it is a special cable - I am sorry to admit it but I guess I don't believe everything I see on the Web. But I do believe you. Honest, true answer, as far as you know - this really is a great Website. I will wait and see if anyone else has messed with these little fellows and post a reply. About the software - I foolishly assumed Siemons would provide this online, I will have to check further. Why would any firm sell this? Good Grief - give it away and promote your product. Again; thanks!

Compared to the price of the S7-200 I'm sure the $50 cable would be a drop in the bucket.

Does it need special terminal software?

I think you will find that the PLC market is quite different then the microcontroller and PC market place. PLC hardware and software were/are quite higher priced, lower volume business models. I do seem to recall that there were a few low priced PLC vendors but pretty sure they were not really able to change the PLC market pratices. The typical customers for PLCs were industry based rather then individuals.

Good luck

Lefty

I also need to make cable by myself but i know only Omron PLC if you want to know how to make it can come https://www.tryplc.com

I programmed Siemens PLC's for 15 years so I should know
But that all were S5 types.
I stopped 10 years ago when they started S7

Nevertheless I have a S7-200 unit here and a PC/PPI cable type 6ES7 901-3BF00-0XA0 (serial to PLC).

I can assure you that it's more than a cable. There's a grey box 8*4*2cm close to the serial plug.

Like others already wrote, PLC is industry minded not intended for hobby use. Way to expensive soft- and hardware.

I don't know if you plan to actually build something with the S7-200 unit but if it's all new to you I suggest you to take a look at the "Logo!" system from Siemens or step into the µC world.

About your plan to find free Siemens software: Keep on dreaming... ...

Amazing. Am I wrong, or does AB provide their software for free? Why didn't one major vendor flood the market with free programming software and dominate? As to the cost of these little fellows I think they are almost give-aways on ebay. I will look again this evening. Thanks everyone for the the help. I will see if I can get my company to bankroll the hard/soft ware purchase under "training". Yeah Electro-tech!!

What is your company wanting to do with them?, basically they are for industrial process control - apart from that application there are many better cheaper solutions, such as PIC's and other micro-controllers.

My company will bankroll things like this as they are very pro training. They feel that anyone showing interest in learning something new should be encouraged to do so. I like sticking with industrial PLC's because I have an industrial background. As to what I want to do with???? Play around! BTW; This particular PLC lived its life as a 2 ton electric door opener/closer.

PLCs do have the advantage of not requiring any assembly. It'll probably work out cheaper for his company to just buy him a PLC rather than paying him time to assemble a PIC project on a PCB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…