Please help - Misco USB removing

Status
Not open for further replies.

stk2008

Hi all my brother had a great idea of fixing these micro USB connections on the x10i phone.

Its a common problem and he has purchased a load of the micro USB connectors so I can remove the old one and fit the new ones.

Problem is how the bloody hell do you remove these things there horrible.

I can only imagine the whole assembly is heated and it melts the solder in one go because there is all so pads under the connector you cant get to to actually heat up the solder.

Some one said about wave soldering? I have no idea what that is.

Can I use a small butane torche as long as I protect the rest of the components?.

Here is the device and main board less the bloody pads I tore off .

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Are you trying to repair the phone or salvage the parts? If you wanted to change the connector you´re srewed, because you torn off the pads from the board.
If you want just the parts, take a heat gun and heat it until it melts. Or you can put the board into oven on some standoffs, wait till it melts and tap the board, the parts should fall off.

Yeah I wanted to repair it and yes I know I broke the pads thats the problem.

I did not realise there was pads under the micro USB port till I got it off.

I then assumed these must be fitted by heating up the whole assembly some one said about wave soldering or some thing?.

Stuff like this is usually soldered using reflow, i.e. there is a solder paste on ecach pad of ever component and the board passes though an oven which melts the paste and solders the components. Repairs are usuly done with hot air rework stations which are capable of heating just the pads of that component and then lift it up when ready.

If you can find where did the pads go to, then you could glue the new connector in place and use tiny magnet wires to connect it to the phone.

Hi there how much are these air rework stations? could I not use some kind of heat gun carefully directed at the component and shield all the other parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…