please help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

honas

Here's my problem in a nutshell. Few days over a year ago I purchased an HP Photosmart C6180 printer. I was sick of getting single use printers for $50, so I decided to spend $270 on this one hoping it would last a while. I loved the printer but this is what happened just after the warranty expired. One day I came home from work and the printer was off and not getting power. I did not have the printer plugged into a power strip but rather directly into a wall. The printer's power cord, I believe, has a transformer and a fuse built in. There is an LED light at the end of the cord that gets plugged into the printer and it was off. I figured that the cord was damaged as there is no way to replace the fuse. I bought a new cord for $30, plugged it in and voila, the LED was on; until I plugged it into the printer that is. The light goes off, the printer is not getting power and the light does not come back on until I uplug the cord from an outlet and plug it back in. I called HP and they referred me to Best Buy for service. However, Best Buy said it was not economical for them to service this and that I should get a new printer. I think that this is sacrilage and would like to exhaust all my other options first. I took the printer apart to look for anything obvious that may be wrong (internal fuses etc.) but found only a circuit board with bunch of things on it that I know very little about. I am very handy and a natural tinkerer with a motto that "impossible is nothing" and would like to attempt to test and replace any parts on the circuit board that may be causing this problem. But I need help getting pointed in the right direction. I can provide a photo of the circuit board if anyone is willing to help me. I certainly don't have a lot of money to go out and buy another printer but I do have the tools to attempt a repair. I will appreciate any suggestions that you might have for me. I figured that someone on this forum would be able to make an educated guess as to what part on the board may be bad or that may be sending current back to the power cord to trip it up so that further damage is not caused. I also figured that as far as transformed power coming to a circuit board, it would go through a series of parts first (such as capacitors, resistors etc.) and that this would be true for a majority of boards and that if one of these parts were burnt out it may be the cause for the symptoms described. It may be also possible that I posted in the wrong forum and if that's the case I appologize. I will appreciate all constructive feedback but please don't respond with advice to buy a new printer. I already got that advice and it will be my last resort. Thank you.

Like on the other website:
Good luck finding a service manual or parts for it.

Welcome to the last resort, I've already responded on electronics-lab. We like photos though, lets see the pictures.

Edit
1. A "Please Help" subject rarely gets good responses
2. Call HP, after all it's their product

Last edited:
Hi honas,

I don't know if you've already tried **broken link removed** (I don't see your name there) but it's a forum directly dedicated to hardware support. Electro-tech leans more toward the design and building of things, even though there are certainly a few pro repair artists hanging around.

Nothing inside is obviously scorched/leaking though, eh? Can you go ahead and post that picture?

Torben

Thanks

Thank you all for the advice. I am attaching a picture of the circuit board and will try the other forums as suggested. The purple plug is where the power comes in.

Attachments

• IMG_1490.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1491.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…