Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pneumatic cylinders

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwame

Hi
i want to use a pneumatic cylinder for a project work.I will use a timer to actuate the cylinder once every hour. When one buys a pneumatic cylinder and a mount,does one need a special device to supply 'air pressure' ,tubing etc to enable the cylinder to work?This is because pneumatic cylinders utilize air for its operation.

Wisdom Kwame
kwameklu@gmail.com

This would go better with a link to the specific cylinder you plan t use but the answer is yes, you will need a regulated air supply and other needed hardware. Well you will need a supply the cylinder is rated for. Thus if you have a cylinder rated for 30 PSI and a shop air supply of 120 PSI, you need a regulator. You buy a cylinder based on need, things like stroke, diameter, mounting etc.

Ron

Hi folks
are pneumatic and hydraulic cylinders the only linear actuators on the market or in vogue at the momemt?
Is there any other linera actuators systems apart form these ones.The problem with these two is that you need compressed or hydraulic oil before they can work.Any alterntaives?
Kwame
Ghana

Air compressor

Hi
does anybody know how to build a simple home made air compressor which can be used to run a pneumatic cylinder?The ones on the market are too large for my project work and too noisy!
When using the compressor does it stay on indefinitely requiring manual switching on/off or it can be set up to go off automatically.How does this pan out?
Are the portable/miniature 12v air compressors reliable?Has anybody tried them before?

It all depends on what you are trying to do. Why don't you share that with us so we can think about the methods that might work. Right now I have a picture in my mind of a cylinder lifting a car off the ground but it could just as easily be a cylinder to push marbles off the table..

You could use a 12volt tire inflator if it's big enough.

Last edited:
12v compressors are a joke unless you buy a $300 model that suck up a few hundred amps. The little ones marketed to car owners put out lots of pressure but no volume. Connect one to a standard 25-foot hose and it takes 30 seconds just to pressurize to 100 psi. It takes hours and hours to fill a flat 16-inch tire to 30 psi. I've considered using a small 12v model for a short, thin line to a pneumatic brad nailer, but it would be good for driving only at the rate of one per four minutes!

Last edited:
you could use a 7 gallon air tank and fill it from a 120VAC compressor. that should lasta while with good design.
just be sure to drain the water every time you use the tank.

Thanks RON
I am trying to install a simple pneumatic cylinder in my homemade incubator .The incubator has a rack which carries eggs.The cylinder is to be actuated hourly so that the eggs in the rack are tilted at an angle of of 45-60 degree to exercise the developing embryo.Period!
I need some education as regards the accessories i need to order together with the cylinder and the air be4 the whole thing can work.
Thanks
kwame
Ghana

OK, you don't need much. I have worked with Bimba Cylinders much like these in the past.

Thing is you will need an air supply based on the cylinder you use. Depending on your location you will have to see what is available out there.

Eggs huh? You may want to also look into small lead screw type actuators so you don't get scrambled eggs. I am thinking "gentle" is important. Someone mentioned a lead screw type actuator and that might be a better choice.

Ron

Hi kwame,

you don't require any linear actuator for the egg turner. Put the pivot point of the egg tray in the center of it and connect a geared motor via a crank shaft to either side and distance off the pivot point of the egg tray to gain the desired tilt angle. Use Hall sensors to determine if the final position (left and right tilt) has been reached to stop the motor and restart the timer for the turning cycle.

Boncuk

Last edited:
Egg rack

Unless it is much larger than I think a small gear motor may be enough. A 4 or 5 rpm motor would have a lot of torque. If you don't like the wire it could be some screw stock threaded in a nut on the rack with the motor in the same plane as the lead screw. I think this would be easier to implement and maybe smoother than the air.

Attachments

• inc.PNG
    inc.PNG
    85.4 KB · Views: 166
5 rpm

Hi folks
i think a 5 RPM 12v Dc motor will be easier than the cylinder.I prefer using a gear with lever attached to the end which i can easily couple to the trolley(rack).
I want a gear which can tilt the trolley at an angle of 45-60 degrees.Folks do you know where i can find this sought of gear;preferably a one ,made of plastic?
I want one i can use for this motor:12V 5 RPM High Torque DC GEAR MOTOR for Watch Winder For Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back