Pool Pump Board

trenta79

G'day from Australia
Pool pump hasn't been working. Took it apart and noticed this.
Would love your thoughts.
Is it an easy repair?
Thanks

It looks like it's been hit by lightning, cleaning the PCB and repairing any blown tracks, plus replacing the blown components at the left 'may' cure it. However, with lightning there's a high chance of much more extensive damage to the rest of the circuit.

The only way to tell is to keep replacing failed parts until it's either cured, or you give up.

I've repaired numerous (already scrapped) lightning damaged CRT sets over the years - just as a matter of interest. In many cases I've had to repair 20-30 individual faults, before the sets worked - however, in two cases even after that the CRT's had been damaged, so the sets were working, but useless

Interesting. We haven't had an lighting for some time. Would it be an expensive fix? A new board is ridiculously priced hence why I'm looking at this alternative

I can agree with the lightning or mains voltage surge, the transient suppressor is burst (the blue component above the yellow "Suntan" component).

Also consider that there could have been some water ingress, look at the case sealing gasket in the top left hand corner of the picture, it is a bit crumpled and may not sealed well.

JimB

It could be some water in there or a power surge. We haven't had any storms for some time so I'm not sure about the lightning. Could be wrong though.
Does it look like a simple fix or too hard to tell? Out of interest what else has burnt out?

Does it look like a simple fix or too hard to tell? Out of interest what else has burnt out?
Rather difficult to say from 10,000 miles away.

It is worth noting that those blue transient suppressors have a habit of self destructing all on their own for no good reason.
When the operate and catch a voltage transient, they wear out and age a little bit, and eventually they just give up the ghost and go with a bang.

It could be that there is very little wrong with your pool controller, just a blown fuse somewhere in the supply line. (Note that this is just a wild optimistic guess!).

How much do you know about electrics/electronics?
Do you have a suitable testmeter?

This part is fried? I believe it had a red cap on it?
Sorry, I have no idea what it is.

If you clean off all the black gunge on the circuit board, you will see a white circle around the thing, near by will be some letters/numbers, like the C1 adjacent to the Suntan capacitor. We know it is a capacitor because of the "C" designation.

JimB

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…