Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Potentially naïve Power Supply question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hippogriff

My Musical Fidelity X-A200R amplifier is a lovely bit of tank-like kit...

**broken link removed**

It comes with a big and heavy separate PSU module, which I have started wondering whether I can replace with something like a wall-wart PSU... to save space and make it more aesthetically pleasing.

**broken link removed**

I'd not want to damage anything though... but do you reckon my presumption that the Musical Fidelity PSU is just something that they've vastly over-engineered for dubious 'hi-fi' reasons?

I believe it's a 12 volt regulated PSU... but I have no idea of what current rating it has. Obviously I'm wondering... can I replace this with a simple plug / PSU? Happy to be told "no" and will listen to advice / guidance.

Obviously there would be an interesting question re. the connection type - as the socket on the amplifier itself is something special / different.

I'll venture a guess the PSU was designed specifically for the amplifier. Can you replace it? Sure as long as the supply you replace it with meets or exceeds the specifications of the one you have. My suggestion is leave things alone. Just looking at the size I do not see this as an easy task.

Ron

Powerful amplifiers need powerful supplies. A wall-wart is most unlikely to be able to provide enough oomph.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back