Potentiometer link to linear actuator

Status
Not open for further replies.

dermotcaf

Hello All

My project is a trailer braking system for a car towed trailer. I want to control the trailer brakes from the brake pedal of the towing vehicle i.e. car or jeep). To do this i was thinking of using a linear potentiometer connected to the brake pedal, this would then send a signal to a linear actuator to control the master cylinder (piston that forces hydraulic fluid to wheel brakes). The further the piston moves the more pressure in the system thus a greater braking force.
The movement of the piston is controlled by the movement of the brake pedal

What i need to know if is, if it is possible to link a linear ( or rotary) potentiometer to a linear actuator ( servo or stepper)
(the position of the actuator is controlled by the position of the potentiometer)

Are the other methods to achieve this?
Looking forward to you thoughts,

Regards

Caff

It is unusual for a trailer to have hydraulic brakes. The only time I saw one, the hitch on the trailer was mounted so it could slide and was connected to the master cylinder. When the car slows, the trailer surges ahead, applying the brakes. A shock absorber/damper is needed in parallel with the master cylinder. This system is simple and works well.

read atashed document... in this are some usefull links (is in roumanian language, but.. are schematics)

Attachments

• actuator.pdf
    815.2 KB · Views: 278
Also, a potentiometer would wear out quickly.

Remember that it is a contact sliding on a carbonised track.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…